My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Euphemism, Positive spin, etc.


Euphemism, positive spin, etc - I don’t know what others think about them but to me the mean only one thing. They serve the exact opposite purpose of what they are intended in the first place. In some cases ‘euphemism’ serves as euphemism of hypocrisy, which always will be despicable.

Last year I saw one movie (In Good Company), and this issue was also highlighted in that. In that moving the term of sacking employees was “letting go”. I don’t understand how the term “fired” or “letting go” means any different for whom it is used? Worse to me, the term “letting go” will add insult to injury. (God forbid it though)

‘Positive spin’ is no less offending. For example – if your internet service provider (ISP) doubles the charge and also increased by the speed even by 10%, will address the letter to you as “Congratulations, your internet speed has been increased”. Only later in the letter will be mentioned that price has been increased as well! It does not matter that your previous speed of 1Mbps was more than sufficient for you and you don’t need any faster than it.

One of the worst kinds of ‘euphemism’ I got from my Bank. I think it was last year. I received a letter from them saying that “they will lower the interest rate from 0.40% percent to 0.15% from next quarter”. The letter mentioned that if you don’t agree to this then please fill the attached feedback form and mail in the “postage pre-paid envelop”. I thought it was good for them to ask for feedback. Also I was happy that the letter was in English for me. I proceeded to the feedback form and then I saw the later half of the page. It said that when we receive this feedback form we will close your account!
Was that a feedback form? That was simply notice of discontinuation of account. Who will term it as feedback form? I guess, I will have to hand the award for the best positive spin to my dear bank. I should have sent a letter to them saying “Thanks, I never knew you were paying any interest to me”.

This is not limited to official communications and diplomacy. You will find this euphemism and positive spin even in personal relationships. It is more hurting in this domain. I don’t know why people do it? Do they think the intended recipient will not get the real meaning? I bet, everyone gets and it is result is severe than if stated in simple and straight terms. Everyone in this world appreciates honesty, however blunt it might be. Euphemism, positive spin, etc might save an awkward moment or two for the time being, but it will have more serious consequences than otherwise. In fact in impersonal matters, the usage of euphemism or positive spin can lead to personal animosity. In personal matters it might one more derogatory adjective to the persona of the user.

So cut back on euphemism. I love blunt honesty anyday.

18 Comments:

  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger Akanksha said…

    hey u forgot to add "soften the blow" to ur list.. he he :D

    i get what u r tryin to say .. but i believ that putting a positive spin to anything is better than bein rude..

    it is much better when a couple breaks up that the dumper says "i dnt think its working out" than if he/she says "i hate the sight of ur face now and want to barf each time i look at u"

    so a lil sugar coating never hurts

    but what the bank did should be a punishable offence! :)

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahaha! Didn't you know that in Finland they won't tell you everything untill you ask? So for example, if you ask if there is a bus at 3pm, they will tell you yes but then they won't tell you if it has already gone if you don't ask. LOL

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    i agree with u man...being direct is better than being otherwise...it infact teases the person getting the insult into something more deeper level...

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Akanksha - Ironically you are proving my point. How does it make any difference to the recipient if it is said with 'euphemism', positive spin, or softened blow (as you said )? For the one who says it might be easy but it is more harsh for the recipient.

    Dumper - dumpee is taking this to a higher level. There is whole "Classical handbook for dumpers" available :P

    A little summer coating does more damage than otherwise.

    Heather - Yeah that bus example is classic one. But I am happy that in Finland ppl are direct, atleast I am sure when they speak English. I like this attitude of theirs.

    Sara - Exactly !! this is what I was trying to say. You summed it up perfectly.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Dear Satya,

    U cant do without euphemisms.

    Example.

    India lost 4-1 to underdogs Windies.

    Our man Dravid said after the routing that 'I dont think we were outplayed'.

    Dravid in my opinion is new to this world. So his euphemism was snatched by me at once.

    He meant...'I dont think we were outplayed. Coz we never played. We were busy getrting fucked left, right and center'

    Now tell me cud he have said these exact words without taking recourse to euphanism?

    Btw..that bank has funny employees.

    Rgds.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hey Sher I take serious exception to saying "India lost to Windies". Tell me the Indian (country) connection with the cricket team in question ? Just cause Indian citizens play in that team made it India ? Well by that logic Finland can be called as India cause few Indians like me live here !!

    Well as far as cricket is concerned, it can have all the euphemism, positive spin, swing , yorkers for all I care.

    But I can tell you one department which swears by euphemism. It is the HR deptt of any organisation.

    And my bank (Nordea) really took the concept to a new height.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Well as u expected, I take exception to your comment. (serious)

    How is our cricket team not Indian?

    In that case India never lost a war to China. Coz the army lost the war and army had only Indian citizens. By your logic then India didnt loose...some men did.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sher - It was Indian army. It was an Indian 'entity'.

    Your cricket team is a club team, it is registered in Mauritius. Where is the Indian connection?

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Satya it maybe registered in Mauritius as a diff entity...a commercial entity. It may have two or diff parts. And in any case give a proof of that.

    Also no foreigner can be a part of the Indian team(even legally...twist it as much as possible))...that to me is enuf reason..not enuf...but the reason to think our cricket team as Indian...and by that logic to refer its winning or loosing as India loosing or winnning.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    from personal experience being blunt hurts and it hurts bad ,,, though it does not matter to me but for sme it matters not to savour the realtionship.

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sher - Okay, I won't agrue on it. If you want to say it as India then you may. India is as much yours as much mine :D

    Abhinav - Whether one is blunt or sugar-coated,the result is always the same. Only that sugar-coated is bit harsher.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    but the sugar coated one lasts long

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Abhinav - Both ends at the same time. The bitterness lingers much more than usual in the sugar coated case.

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your Bank needs to work on it's english, i think. ;)

    well, i cannot stand superficiality myself. as long as the truth is stated, but not in a derogatory or insulting manner, but in a respectful manner, that's good. problem comes when people take this "i call a spade a spade" to another level by being unnecessarily spiteful and rude. am on a rant here.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    and as for "Softening the blow" i see it as an indication that the other person atleast cared for my feelings to treat them delicately..

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    TGFI - Yeah that 'spade a spade' thing comes in when there is argument or such. In those situation one can moderately and modestly present the points.

    But considering a situation where someone is doing something which has some 'hurt' potential and then topping it up with 'euphemism', which is accompained with smug or a wry smile. In such cases it adds insult to injury.
    Actually honesty in such cases might 'soften the blow'

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    Well I agree in some ways to what you have said.I prefer honesty over anything else.But what you have pointed out and I will say this at the risk of repetetition, exists every where.Don't you think.
    And what is this discussion about the Indian cricket team?That angry are we?

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    EU - Yeah the usage of Euphemism and others are quite prevalent. And that spurred me to write that post. Somethings hurt less when said straight rather than sugar coated.

    About cricket, what can I say ? I lost any interest in cricket long ago. But am I wrong, if I don't agree to use of INDIA in place of Indian cricket team or more correctly BCCI cricket team ?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home