My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Just a day


Though it is too obvious to mention but I will. When it comes to weather of Finland, ‘weird’ is not the word to be used. The mere speaking of “weather” has many adjectives included in it, like weird, fabulous, and lousy and so on. No wonder a typical conversation in England starts with weather and in Finland starts with temperature.

So it is raining since yesterday. It was sort of heavy rainfall yesterday and today it was polite drizzle. No Sun blazing around and clouds ruled the skies for better part of the day. What a shame for summer. The sun did come out from the covers, but it was not until 2100 hours when it got the chance. Poor thing, it had to retreat in few minutes.

This weather had got me nearly miss work today. Normally I get up without any alarm at anytime between 5 am and 7 am. During summer it depends how long I can keep my eyes shut in the brightness. Today when I got up and saw the time, it was 9.38 am! I could not believe my eyes and checked the cell phone and it indeed was 9.38 am. I wasn’t sure at what time I could reach office? I was still asleep when the hot water from shower was running over me. This frantic effort to reach office meant no tea/coffee. I thought of atleast fixing a bowl of cereals for my breakfast, thinking it would be take couple minutes to consume that. Well when I picked up the carton of milk it sounded too light, yeah no milk! I reached office without tea and breakfast at 10.20 am.

With the excellent start, the day was bound to get better. When I reached office, unusually, there was one pressing matter to be taken care of. So it was only an hour later that I got time to run to office pantry for the cup of coffee. The coffee never tasted so good.

This also makes me think that why we can’t buy milk and bread for the whole week at one go? The expiry dates particularly of milk should mandatory be for at least a week. Tomorrow we have holiday in Finland so I had to go to grocery shop to buy the milk in the evening. I came to cashier with one liter pack of milk and no cash in wallet. Though I never pay cash in grocery stores & elsewhere; I thought it odd to pay 74 cents by card. I saw this as excellent opportunities to get rid of those heavy coins and I paid with 3 coins of 20 cents and 2 coins of 10 cents and my wallet felt light. The girl seemed to get my intention and gave back one coin of 5 cents. The reason most of the times I got no bills in my wallets is the dreadful visit to ATMs, which I avoid as much I can.

When I called my mother in evening, I thought of telling her that I have holiday tomorrow. I started “Mother, tomorrow my school, err, college, err office is closed”. Damn! How can I do that? She started laughing. I don’t know what was going on my mind.

So that was one weird day or shall I only say a ‘day’.

17 Comments:

  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger killer is i said…

    All schedules messes up if u r late, and max time u r late coz of sleeping, spl. for a lazy person like me. But u seems to b 0% lazy, wake up with no alarm, just with sunlight. Mere to koi muh pe paani maar de main fir bhi nahi uthta :p
    You knw, all those scenes u usually describe, reminds me of movie scenes like it was in "THE VILLAGE"(which was not a horror movie acc to me) or in some other horror movies :D. Like lotz of trees and its raining, with sound of leaf on ground.:D ... weird .. huh
    Seems like u also wanna go back to school ;)

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ahha. thank god the stock-market posts stopped. i was beginning to feel uncomfortable. there is only so much one can nod and smile, no? ;)
    but i learnt a bit, and felt up-to-date when i was reading desi newspapers, so thanks!!!

    yeah i hate going to the grocery store for one item a time. miss the doodhwala's of home and galli ke nukkad ke dukaan.

    aur what are the finns celebrating tomorrow??? enjoy your day off. you almost got 1.5 days off, thanks to this nautanki of getting up late today eh? ;)

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    ur post reminded me my Physics board exam when i got up at 9am (when paper was @10) thinking its still 6 am :)
    ur not the only one saying school/college i do it most of the time i guess that was the only time we enjoyed life and it keep coming to us

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Y said…

    why is a visit to an ATM dreadful?

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Killer - The Village ! no, Finland is not like that island. I have yet to see that movie so can't say more. No, I don't want to go back to school. I just managed to crawl out of there.

    TGFI - haha, stock market, that was true. Yeah I stopped cause that stopped being a news and you are welcome if it helped :P
    And if only we had still had those nukkad ke dukaan. There are not enough convenience stores in Finland.

    Today is "Ascension day". This follow the Easter and comes from the Christian mythology as the day when Jesus went to heaven. Yeah lazy day for me :) You are going to have Memorial day holiday this monday, correct ?

    Abhinav - No this school/college happened to me for the first time. For me it was not the only time I enjoyed life. Infact it is long time since I was in school/college.

    This sleeping like a dead man also happened to me for the first time.

    Sher - Well it is dreadful cause I am still at sea with Finnish langague. The ATMs here will have English interface only if you have international card. I have account with a bank in Finland so I get only Finnish. I can't do trial and error cause there are chances of my card getting seized by the ATM. It has happened to me once. You can read it here

    Though now I have memorised the UI as blue slot, right top then amount then left bottom. But I still cut back on trips to ATM as much as I can.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    arrey milk definitely has a very very long timeframe for expiry (Esp in finland). I remember icecreams, confectionery and lots of other stuff has expiry dates dating to a whole year!

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahaha :) you're late!!! you should be guilty! lol! just kidding!

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    TF - Yeah other items definitely do have long expiry dates, but milk doesn't. It should go on like satday to satday. Now it goes like Wedday to wedday which means two trips to supermarket in one week.

    Heather - Well I wasn't that late as I did cut back on my breakfast and tea :)

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    typical

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    so u took 40 mins to get ready and reach office!! you know, thats a LOT of time.

    hehehe, back to school eh? ;) Damn! how cud u do that!

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger Kavyaa said…

    Hey,
    i do the school-college mix up all the time! For me, it's pardonable but u???...C'm on! u r an office going bloke now...no wonder ur mother started laughing!! :)
    Btw, tomorrow a holiday? what for??

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anonymous - Man, how can you say typical? I never get late to work and you know that.

    Freeze - 40 mins is not much !! will ask you in couple of months when you start working. :D

    Kavi - Yeah, that was pretty weird for me to do the goof up. I left school/college long ago. I should have forgotten even the spelling of them and I did the goof up.
    Today was holiday "Ascension day" (Jesus Christ went to heaven today)

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    Ever heard of something called an alarm ? (and this is coming from someone who turned off the alarm last friday morning and woke up 1 hr later).

    school?college?office! - Incidentally, my mom does the same routine at times but not me.

    It is funny tho :)

    And why exactly is the visit to ATM so dreadful?

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    typical

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - Thanks, yeah I know Alarm now. Actually, it does not matter much even if I reach office late.

    Well ATM visit, in the reply to Sher above I have explained that why it is dreadful? By the way I am going to ATM now. In the bus they take only credit card and not debit card. So need some cash.

    Anonymous (Mowgli)- Ok, okay, I accept typical. :P

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Typical is for this: "“Mother, tomorrow my school, err, college, err office is closed”"

    very funny ... its typical of you :p

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anonymous (Mowgli) - No man, even that is not typical

     

Post a Comment

<< Home