My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Changes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the only constant thing in this world; things are changing even as I write. There is nothing much we can do other than accepting changes. Dr Spencer Johnson in his famous book wrote the secret of success as accepting changes and adapting to them. But is it that easy to accept changes?

Humans have a great ability to adapt themselves, acclimatize with newer versions of things but still they find it difficult to accept changes. Aren’t these two theories so contradictory? But it is this very quality that makes us live our life past the changes.

The way to make transition easier is to never get attached to any thing; these attachments are what it makes difficult to accept changes, but it is always easier said than done.

It might be easier for others but I have always found myself difficult to accept any kind of changes in my life be it small or some major changes. As I said earlier most of the time I didn’t have any other option so I had to accept changes. I get disturbed by changes in the webpage of newspaper which I read, change in the settings of my online radio station and more obviously the changing realities of my life. I somehow try to cling to them and try to go through my memories even if they hurt me. I get attached to things too easily and most of the time I don’t keep options that in turn increases the attachment. I don’t get an idea of my attachment until I have to let things go or try to revisit things in light of changed circumstances.

This time when I went to my parent’s place in my home town, the town where I spent twenty years of my life and the town where I grew up was haunting me. I have so many memories associated with each and every thing in that town and I was finding it too difficult to accept the changes. I just wanted to run away from there, run from the reality that things have changed, run from the realities that things will never be the same before. I didn’t stay there for more than three days and I don’t think I would ever be able to spend a week there now. Sometimes I wish if I could go back in time and tweak few things here and there so that I am able to live peacefully today.


God, grant me serenity

to accept the things I cannot change,

courage to change the things I can

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time,

enjoying one moment at a time,

accepting hardships as a pathway to peace

taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,

not as I would have it,

trusting that You will make all things right

if I surrender to Your will.

So that I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with You forever

in the next.

Amen
-- Reinhold Niebuhr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home