My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Call Centers in Finland

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post is about my call center experience in Finland. The reasons I call it call center and not customer care experience cause this is related to the first part when you dial the numbers and then reach the executive. It has always been a harrowing experience for me to dial those numbers; the amount of time they make you wait before you reach the executive is pathetic. It is some times two minutes; 5 minutes and last week when I called one airline it was seven minutes! I am sorry if they thought that they were music stations and not customer care centers. It is not difficult to guess that I cancelled my call all those times, in fact not once I have been successful to conduct a business over these numbers in Finland.

Back in India I have used call centers extensively for many purposes and never been dissatisfied. It is highly unlikely that there you would hear something as “your waiting time is – minutes “, almost all the time you will get immediately connected to some executive. I don’t think anyone there would wait for seven minutes for speaking to an executive unless one is buying a ‘fighter Jet’. Thankfully the phone charges are less in Finland as compared to India (Purchasing Parity level) or else it would have been worse. May be one or two minute is acceptable but not five and seven minutes, otherwise it will take less time to reach the office of airline or your ISP and do your work manually, or just imagine you want to place an order on your stock and by the time you reach the executive the market is closed.

Well I have not discussed this topic with any Finn so don’t know their views , I may be complaining cause I have got better experience before here. If my waiting time in India was of order of ten minutes I would have been writing this post in entirely different tone.

The other services in Finland are world class but the firms here may do well to improve upon this.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Mona said…

    Except the waiting time which is very very long ... sometimes the people are not helpful and unfriendly ...

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha i think not just call centers, even banks, sometimes, its amazing how long you have to wait. I broke record waiting 1.5 hours once. And i thought, perhaps, its in the culture, "relax and take your time" hehe..

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Holy Crap ! one of my colleague told me that he once called Nordea's call center and his expected waiting time was 28 minutes !! even more than what 'sideeyes' friend has experience.
    And even after you get connected there is no guarantee of satisfacation as pointed by Mona....

    Time to release a white paper, Heather it can be a good research topic for you, 'CRM or Anti-CRM in Finland' ...

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahahahaha.. :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home