My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Nobel Museum





This weekend I was in Stockholm (again). I have been to Stockholm in all the seasons and almost seen whole of it. But this trip stands apart for one reason; this time I spent considerable time in the Nobel Museum. I wished to see it in my last visit but since that day was 10th December - the day of Nobel Prize, I wasn’t sure if the museum would be open for general public. Camera is not allowed inside the museum so all I have is outside view.



The museum is situated close to the Royal Palace in old town Gamla stan. It is housed in the famous Swedish Academy (one which awards the prize). I watched the change of guard ceremony at royal palace then opened my map to locate Nobel museum and realized that I was standing 5 feet from it. I was overwhelmed. The last time I felt this was when I saw the leaning tower of Pisa just infront of me.



The Nobel museum was opened in 2001 to commemorate the centennial Nobel Prize occasion. You can imagine the importance of education in Sweden by the fact that Swedish Academy is situated steps away from Royal Palace.



The museum is about 700 sq meters and can’t be considered a big one. It houses the detail of 758 prize winners till date. There is one room dedicated to Alfred Nobel and to me it was like sanctum sanctorum of the museum. It has details from Alfred Nobel’s life, his traveling kit, the dynamite and detonator. Incidentally the laboratory where Nobel tested dynamite resulting in huge explosion which tore down the building and killed his brother was steps away from this place. There are details of the business empire of Nobel which at one time extended to 90 countries. The museum is currently having exhibition about the life of Albert Einstein. It is there I learnt that committee was not comfortable in awarding the Nobel Prize to him. When it was finally awarded, much to Einstein’s amusement (he had in advance pledged the award money to his divorced wife) it was not for Theory of Relativity but for his experiments on 'Light'.

The most impressive thing in this room is the will of Alfred which is the reason why we have the Nobel Prize. It is hand written in Swedish with ink pen. The heading is “Testament” and I must say that Nobel had a good handwriting. He signed the will in 1895 and later died in 1897 at the age of 63. He remained unmarried. The will does not mention about prize in economics which is not actually a Nobel prize but ‘The Bank of Sweden (Sveriges Riksbank) Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel’ first awarded in 1969.

There are two rooms which keep showing 3 minutes movie of each Nobel Prize winner, one of the rooms are specifically for individual prize winners. When I entered the room the movie about Indian Literary prize winner Rabindranath Tagore was on. Sadly I could not see it as the guided tour started that very moment. There is also a cableway in the roof of the museum through which details of each winner comes one by one but not in any particular order. It will take 5 hours 20 minutes for all the winners to be shown.

The museum has several other things to see, such as medals, the transcript of award to Schrödinger and utensils from the legendary Nobel banquet held each year after the award ceremony. There is one café inside the museum which is called as Kafé Satir. The peculiar thing about this café is that all the chairs of the café are personally signed on the underside by the winners. I flipped few chairs and saw the famous signatures. It has also a shop to buy souvenirs. To remember this visit I bought one Nobel museum wallpaper and one miniature gyroscope symbolic of Einstein’s experiment in submarines.

Interestingly I didn’t find few answers even in the Nobel Museum. It is a known fact that Nobel started the peace prize may be due to his guilt of creating huge amount of wealth from wars which used his invention of ammunition. But there was no answer as to why he asked a Norwegian committee to decide upon the peace prize. Norway that time was under the Swedish empire. One of the controversial questions about not awarding Nobel peace prize to Father of non-violence, our Mahatma Gandhi was indeed mentioned there.

I am not a museum person but I can rank this visit as the best out of all my other museum tours.

19 Comments:

  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    Fantastic over view.I truly enjoyed reading this post.For me you have redefined the art of visiting museums.I enjoy museums more for the emotions they invoke in me,rather than their true value.Very rarely have I gone into such details.I know next time I will be a more informed person.

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    EU Thanks for appreciating the post. It was my long desire to see this place and it was like a dream come true.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    well, whats the answer to the controversial question!

    hmmm, nice post.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    conflict resolution.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze - The details of Nobel prize are made public only after 50 years so the details about Mahatma Gandhi's nomination are public now. The reasons given there were not categorical but it said that probably the members didn't want to offend the British empire and so came up with reasons such as his methods were not violent. They said that his quit India movement and civil disobedience movement resulted in violent acts such as 'Chauri Chaura'. But I guess the strong reason could be not offending Britain.
    Later Britain itself released a stamp in honour of Mahatma Gandhi and now the rules of Nobel prize are changed, they can't be awarded posthumously.

    Mowgli - resolved

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Nice post Satya. And as usual informative.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger killer is i said…

    well .. 1st of all .. awesome place and nice post ..
    wish i cud see things like that ..
    haven't seen much in my life yet .. and u hav also seen leaning tower of Pisa . omg ... luck person ...
    abut Albert Einstein, he really deserves much more than that nobel prize. He was juss an amazing brain, uncomparable.
    And even i don't think that Gandhi shud b awarded wid nobel prize. He was more a politition rather than peace lover. He could hav saved Bhagat Singh, but he din't .. ohh well .. there r thousands of things i can say abut him .. leave all of 'em ..
    neways ... nice info :)

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pretty! how did you take that first picture´?

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sher - Thanks !

    Killer - Well when I was studying I had not seen any of these places. So in couple of years who knows which all places you will visit.
    Yeah Einstein was a great man and Gandhi question was actually mentioned there. I am not taking sides but wrote what was written there.

    Heather - I took the picture from the flyover. You know when you take the road straight from T central and walk towards Gamla stan and after crossing the NK mall. I don't remember the road's name :d

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Freeze said…

    ...offend the British empire and so came up with reasons such as his methods were not violent

    u mean to say the reasons were that, his methods were violent, right?

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    informative

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze - Ooops that was a typo and you got it correct.

    Abhinav - Cool !

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Akanksha said…

    mayb smday i'll see all this..
    nice pics.. i didnt kno alfred noble's brother died becoz of his experiment.. god the guilt should hav killed him

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    U r not a museum person?

    I know stereotyping is wrong but from ur blog, u seem very much like a museum person.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Akanksha - Yeah you can one day visit this place. Actually it was not his personal research, whole family was involved in it. They had their personal laboratory. I am not sure if you know this but 'nitroglycerine' was not Nobel's invention. He got this from one other chemist and then invented dynamite.

    Raj - Hmm, I don't think I am a museum person. I saw many museums in Italy but didn't appreciate them much like those fine arts and paintings barring a few. I like those museums where I can understand things.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Twilight Fairy said…

    What abt the Vassa? That's interesting too. Though I actually didn't go inside it. The 80Kroner fees seemed too high then. :p

    BTW this reminds me that I better get FinnTimes moving :p :). Been quite some time.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    TF Vassa ? Is that a museum? No I didn't see it. Even Nobel museum had fees of 60 kroner but it was worth it. The most expensive entry fees are there in Italy. Colosseum I recall was around 15 Euros..

    Yeah you should get the Finntimes moving. Documenting your Finnish stay will be source of good memories later.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Twilight Fairy said…

    Don't tell me you don't know abt Vassa! You havent been reading Finntimes properly then!! *stern look with cane in hand*

    15 EUR is quite less yaar! Believe me there are costlier museums. I know, Finntimes needs to get moving.. things in my memory cells won't stay there forever.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    TF - I am going to mug your Finntimes blog today :P

    Costlier than 15 Euros ! than those must be really expensive. I can't enjoy going to few museums and gazing out on some paintings which I dont know head or tail about. And I think it is those museums which are expensive.

    Yeah you should transfer data from your memory cells :p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home