My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Elastic Graph


For the past one hour I tried everything, shifting in bed, going under the covers, listening to good music, bad music and almost everything less of popping the pill. I give in. I am not going to get sleep whatever I do. After having a long day; working in two offices of two different cities, traveling in the bus for 240kms, with countless bones of body in pain and yet no sleep. Fair enough. Tonight the only charm of Helsinki for me was the prospect of quiet dinner at one of the Indian restaurants, which never materialized. I had to do with burgers because there wasn’t time. On my way back, I profusely cursed Helsinki for having only -5 C when we had -21C in Hameenlinna.

My mind goes back to those experiments we did. There were two kind of material ductile and brittle. When increasing load is applied to a brittle material it reaches a point and snap breaks. This is the yield point. When increasing load is applied to a ductile material, after a certain point, it does not snap breaks but starts elongating. It won’t break but keep on elongating, resisting the stress with its basic character i.e. ‘ductility’. How long? After a while it will give in and break. It also has its yield point. I somehow feel that experiment decrypts life of an individual.

When we are kid we have the entire world in our fist. We want to achieve everything under the sun. With passage of time we recognize the reality. The list gets shorter and priorities change. May be we reach a point when there is only one entry left in that list. We chose to go ahead for that entry forgetting every other thing in life. Can you compromise on it? I guess no, or else you reach your ‘yield point’. But how much of control one has in his life? No one has control over the greatest event which goes a long way in shaping one’s life. Where you take birth will decide the society you live, people you interact, places you study and possibly the culture where you work.

I can’t think anymore, but it feels good to take it off my chest.

11 Comments:

  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    Hehehehe..is that why you have been leaving comments at 3 in the morning, and I thought damn he is an early riser.Next time try reading a boring book.
    No one does not have a lot of control.But one will completely lose it if he doesnt atleast attempt to take charge.

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    gosh u had a rough day..there are only 2 ways to live ur life one "go with the flow" let things as they are, this reminds me "Samay aur ****** sabka kat ta hai"
    The other is take charge or lets put it assume to take charge and work towards achieving ur goals and follow ur passion

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    Great "yield point" analogy :)

    Of course, there are a lot of things that are beyond one's control. What one can't change is not one's problem. But then there are other things that are totally in an individual's control and these could be life-changing too!

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    EU - So it seems you were not sleeping as well. Oh yeah you keep mentioning about your unearthly hours.Hmm, we take charge but sometimes uncontrollable things seems to be overwhelming.

    Abhinav - Yeah it was a rough day but could have been better, if not for few things which I could not command to my desires.

    Raj - I could completely relate the whole thing with the yield point analogy. Depends who effect is more, what you could change or what you couldn't ?

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Y said…

    Satya whats wrong with you, i thought I am the one who was going thru wheres the childhood crisis?? hahha

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    yeild point varies ... but it can be postponed with that glue.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hey Sher, there is nothing wrong with me. I am good. I was just trying to put down my thoughts, it has nothing to do with me.

    Mowgli, yeah the yield point varies. Sometimes the glue or rivet(or whatever) fails in shearing stress much before the tensile stress reaches the limiting point.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    that means glue/rivet has failed ... cant do much in that case ...

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Can't help it Mowgli, can I ?

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Freeze said…

    The question here is, why did you let your list come down to only one thing? Its all in the way we choose to live our lives. if we, as adults want to have many things in our list, we can. its upto us. but if we decide to have only one thing, we cant blame it on the 'yield point'.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze - Life does that Freeze. You face the harsh realities of life and then understand that not everything is possible. Then you want to channelise your effort to only one thing which is left on the list.

    If things were ideal then our list would contain all the items.

    Life freeze, life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home