My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Thursday, August 16, 2007

60th Year of Independence of India !


There were times, when these two days – 26th January and 15th August were special to me. As a kid, I used to be happy that we could put the country’s flag on our terrace. That was the time, when common citizens were allowed to put their nation’s flag only on these two days.

Yesterday, it was 60th year of India’s independence. Now any Indian can put up a flag any day of the year after Indian government lost the case against it in the judicial court. I still don’t understand the brouhaha of this day. The line between patriotism and jingoism is very thin and is easily blurred on these occasions. I don’t understand what is there in these celebrations for common citizen?

The whole pomp and glory is displayed on the streets for New Delhi. The important monuments and places, which hold significant amount of Indian history is declared out of bounds for common citizens, weeks in advance. The streets are closed for the political class to move freely creating huge inconveniences for the normal people. On the national day, the President of ‘Republic’ of India holds a party where only elite political class is invited. A common man can’t even think of going anywhere near without the fear of bullets pumped into him.

A nation which is celebrating its 60th year of freedom from colonial rule still has the hangover to have VIP system everywhere from train stations, airports, hospitals, parking, etc.

I believe the sign of maturing of any nation is less jingoism, less symbolism, empowerment and dignity of common citizens. We are not even close to such a condition. So this 60th year of Indian independence is just another day for me.

16 Comments:

  • At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    same for me.

    I had to work! :(

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You wrote a whole post on/about this day. I hence disagree that this was just another day for you.

    You don't write about all your ' just another' days. :))

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Sami said…

    Good point about the fine line between patriotism & jingoism - somehow, in this age of globalization, it seems more and more countries are turning inwards instead of outwards as they should, embracing nationalism instead of the role of a global citizen.

    There can (and unfortunately most likely will) be situations where this kind of development can end very badly.

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    its ok to be jingoistic about one's own country ... to me its an 'artificial' & subjective distinction.

    I do agree with "empowerment and dignity of common citizens" point.

    Bharat as a nation has a long way to go ... after its a nation which exists "In spite of the Gods" :)

    ps: have you met any Chinese? talk to them about their country ... & see what reply you get. they have most pride in their country & they are very vocal about it. you can call them jingoistic ... they dont give a damn.

    neither should you.

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anonymous - Yeah, you are not in India, so you had to work !

    EU - I was in Delhi and had to face huge inconveniences. So right, it was not just another day, but a bad day for me.

    Sami - Correct, today many countries have found power, importance and status due to the globalisation phenomenon. Yet, they are using this new found power to think inward and this can be dangerous trend.

    Mowgli - I refuse to be jingoistic. If the independence day bring difficulties and I can see croonies enjoying their time at the cost of my money, then I refuse to even celebrate this day. What's in it for me ?

    Yeah I have talked to chinese people and I know they are proud of their country. So what ?

    People in India line up to hear the speech by their PM but what happens on ground realities ? What status they have in India ? Can they ever even get an earshot distance of the PM ? So why to queue up to hear them ?

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How can you assume that I am not in India?

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anonymous aka Freeze - Cause you are in Turkey and they don't have a day off for India's independence day !

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    EU to green - LOL
    Green to A (freeze) - LOL
    Green to mowgli - LOL

    celebrating freedom doesnt mean go and kill 2 pakistanis. that is jingoism ... making a loud noise is patriotism. i agree with ur point.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What! that was not me!

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    okay, it was!

    Sigh!

    (I can't lie :P)

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Mowgli - Good that you agree with me !

    Freeze - Hehe, see I found you. Why don't you updated your blog with your Turkish details ?

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    Bah! Just coz you have stat counter...

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was just another holiday for me. The only difference was that people had the Indian flag hanging from their roofs n all.

    Hey, my new blog is up. Visit Rhythmic Dissonance and update your blogroll. My new blog needs more links for better visibility :D

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze - So no use of denying !

    Raj - Welcome back. Congrats on getting a new blog. I will update the blogroll.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with Sami...
    The best I can do today is to "Be the change" I wish to see in the world.
    Thanks for the insights!
    Greg
    www.ChangeStartsToday.com

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    hi buddy... common man's dignity is not given... he must have it first... when he thinks before he spits in the public place, when he litters arnd, when he jumps a signal, when he honks behind a person obeying traffic rules, etc...

    but other points i agree...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home