My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Interpreter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just completed watching this movie "The Interpreter" which was released on April 22nd.I had kept this movie to watch on saturday while I lazed around. With PG13 ranking, I thought it will another run of the mill Hollywood movie, but I am impressed with this Political thriller.

Anything about Africa always interests me, be it the medical detective fictional novel about Ebola virus (I can't seem to remember the name), or the movie "Black Hawk Down" about the UN operations in Somalia.

This movie is based on a fictional African country and it's fictional dictator.Though one statement in the movie could be taken as controversial there wasn't any other controversy in it. It was expected or else getting permissions for starring UN would have been difficult, the movie is shot inside the UN building.

Nicole Kidman looks cute :), the african interpreter, who works at UN and believes in diplomacy, power and sanctity of words. The accent of Nicole is the another aspect of her which has always been admired.

Seeing life from a different angle is Sean Penn,whom I still remember as the pathetic loser in "The assasination of President Nixon". Sean in this movie, played the role of a depressed secret service agent who was dumped by his wife, had nothing else left so was putting everything in his job.

The caring relationship between the two protagonist was manifested in the movie but it was refreshing that it didn't end up in another love making scene. The intense bond between them was subtly potrayed.

The movie keeps the audiences attention due to the tension and suspense, sometimes seeming similar to Hitchcock style.

Overall a good movie to watch, good acting by academy award winners Sean Penn & Nicole Kidman and good direction by another academy award winner Sydney Pollack.

It is quarter to Nine in evening and sunshine is still there,I wanted to go hiking in the forest behind the castle, but the movie was worth my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home