My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

29th June

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have still not written few posts which I wanted to write. Actually right from the last weekend, this was a three days extended weekend due to midsummer holiday, my conscience was pricking me. For the past two weeks I had not done any work in office. I got busy with the exam, then went to Italy and when I came back I got only two days in that week. There are lot of things to do so last Thursday I made a mental note of things which were pending. I hope I will complete all of them by this Friday and then my conscience will not prick for not having worked for the past two weeks.

People in Finland are taking summer break, most of them have already gone. I find this quite interesting, whole of the country going on summer break during mid june to mid august. In my country we have summer breaks for schools and colleges but never heard of five weeks summer break from work. We were discussing the amount of paid leave that each one of us get, we also get thirty days of paid leave but rarely does anyone take them at a stretch, even if someone does it is something like one person in the whole office, not like everyone would be going on leave during summers. I think it is Scandinavian phenomenon and I have also heard that tax department also reduces the tax rate to 50% for the month of summer, so more money to enjoy your holidays.

I guess whole of the Finland would be dormant now, just essential works going on, things will be fine by August end but how long ? It won’t be three months after which again holiday season will start which will go on till mid January. Anyway I would be working through this whole summer, I would be saving all my holidays for the time around November when I will go to my country during the festival of Diwali (hopefully), it is something like five years when I was at home in Diwali. We are having rainy days for all the three days in this week and rainy days somehow makes me home-sick.

I will try to put up those pending posts. Till then here is a bit of statistics from “nationmaster”

Number of days not worked for every 1000 salaried employees.

Top 10 countries

1. Iceland 367 days
2. Spain 316 days
3. Norway 239 days
4. United States 163 days
5. Finland 126 days
6. Canada 125 days
7. France 117 days
8. Ireland 72 days
9. Australia 61 days
10. Italy 59 days

Yeah Finland is right there at no 5

2 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, what's with Iceland? Three times more non-working days than Finland!

    But a question: do you think then that taking a whole month off is somehow bad?

    Btw, the taxes are not lowered for the summer months. They're never lowered. You do get more money for the holidays, but it has nothing to do with taxes.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    No, taking a month off is not bad, but I found it kind of strange that whole country takes leave for a month around the same time, was wondering how things work during summer then ?

    There was a news about Norway which said that they have to pay less taxes for the summer month; anyway it is good to hear that for holidays more money is paid !. My only wish now is to get a job in one of the Finnish company :).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home