My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Expat Forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have an online expat forum in Finland. This forum is quite useful if you want to get all sort of information when you move in, or start living in Finland. Things like where to get currant juice, loose black tea and cheap hair cut. Or may be how to transfer your driving license from New EU/Non-EU country to Finnish ones, how to extend your residence permit, what all things are needed to get married in Finland ( like girl/boy…), what certificates are needed to get married(may be sanity..), whether Nokia phones are cheaper in Finland (they are not !), why Finns don’t hold the door or even say ‘thanks’ if you hold for them (they have said thanks to me), etc. You can also organize get together or you can ask someone to meet you if you are feeling lonely or where to get friends etc. The list is long.

There is always someone who can share the information. Most of the people in the forum, particularly the old members, know each other. There are quite a few interesting people there, each of them would need one post to describe. I am a mber there since Septber, 2004. The forum has helped me a lot as well.

It is a great time pass to read through the threads and interact with others. Sometimes the requests are funny and the answers funnier. Let me put one such thread here.(Nicks are changed and no known copy right violated)

(Ttu is a 'dude' from US, who is trying to locate a Finnish girl)

Ttu - I need help with trying to locate a lady friend. I recently went to Finland and met this lady. Unfortunately I did not get her correct e-mail address and now Ican't contact her.
I'm having a tough time trying to get the correct spelling of her first name. Her name sounds like Minnah (Mee•nah). Can anyone help with the spelling.
Thanking you in advance.

Bunny – Minna

Crisis Manager - Well, could be 'Miina' as well

(Crisis Manager is one of the founding member of this forum and is the most resourceful person and hence his nick)

Bunny – Which is more likely ?

Crisis Manager - Well, if it sounds like mee-nah its spelt the way it sounds. Really can't tell. Though I think probabilitywise Minna is more popular than Miina, which is quite... hrm... old-fashioned.

M2 - 'T ain'nt me -- nahh, must be someone else

(M2 seems to be a Finnish woman)

J1- are you sure her name wasnt hannah??

(there is a similar but more interesting story of a guy searching for Hannah)

(The US dude chips in again)

TTU - Could someone possibly help me with trying to locate or contacting her?

Uhk - Yeah, tomorrow I'm going to go to the market and yell 'mee-nah' randomly. If something comes of it, I'll let you know

Native Finn - Well, the chances -with this information- would be more or less the same as if you said, "I want to find this girl in Ireland, her name is Fiona, please help me!"...

Hame Boy - I guess the name was Minna. Now if you could please come out with more details then people might be able to give you pointers.

Where she works ?or anything that might narrow down the search.


BTW where is that dude these days who was desperately looking for Hannah .....

Fix Guy - If she gave you a wrong e-mail address, maybe she does not want to be found and contacted

(crisis manager chips in as usual with his resources)

Crisis Manager - There are 30925 women named "Minna" found in the Population Registry Syst database. Majority of them, over 21 000 born between 1960-1979.
Now tell us exactly whom of those 30 000 Minna's to email?

Minna Girl - I'm Minna.....born between those years.....but not that Minna - oh well....

(seems forum has one girl named Minna)

Hame Boy - We are seeing lot of requests like this. Someone is searching for Hanna or Minna ... this leads me to think that Finnish girls are quite common in doing this. They don't give their fulll details or give wrong mail ids..

what say you all ?

(By this time the US dude is getting frustrated)

TTU - Sorry I didn't come out with more details, but I didn't want to get into great details about the situation on an open forum. I was hoping someone would private message me with a suggestion or possible state that they would help. Instead I got alot of negativity. Again, I know I didn't clearly state myself and I'm sorry for that.

I also know that there are many people around the world with the same first name, but right now I guess I have too much hope with meeting her again. It will be only a dream.

Another reply stated that they are seeing alot of these requests like this. I hope this is not the case and hope that all Finnish people don't act this way. This is not the way I perceived people when I visited the country. I had a great visit.

Crisis Manager - It is not "negativity" you dumb idiot. It is "REALITY". I do not help touchy-feely idiots, I help realists.

Bunny - Come on Ttu,

How you expect anyone to PM with the idea they can help I really don't know.

You're looking for a girl called Minna or Miina, If I told you I met a girl called Bonnie in your home state, how much help could you give me in finding her?


Pettas - Perhaps there was an obvious error in the email address? Someone here may be able to help if it was just a mispelling of luukku.com or the like...

Bunny - Click here for 14,200 Minna images from .fi domains

Now that should keep you busy for a while
(Bunny comes with a huge database of pictures of Minna(s) from Finland)

Native Finn - Well, well; Finland is not a big country it seems - I happen to know one of the Minna's on the first page of results

The discussion is still continuing ..

11 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    That was funny.

    Forums are a lot of fun if it has the right group of people.

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    //where to get friends

    Not in a shop or on special phone numbers, i hope ;)

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Very ammusing. Enjoyable read too. And what variety.
    Can imagine the plight of the american dude.I like the crisis manager though.

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - Yeah this forum is quite fun. I enjoy being there, had my share of difference and arguments though.
    There are many associations, Red Cross, Green Peace, few others where you can make friend. This request might seem weird but in Finland it is relevant.

    Sher - Yeah, that American dude. May be got hold of her name in a pub when she was drunk and now searching for her :p

    Crisis Manager is liked by everyone in the forum. I know him and have met him.


    I had a tough time formatting this post. For some strange reason, if I try to italicise any line, the right side bar details go to the bottom of page. I really don't know why it happens. HTML is such a yukky thing. I guess C++ would be niftier. I had to remove all the italics using CTRL-Replace and it replace many genuine 'em' like in 'them'. So please excuse me for the mistakes.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    ha! this dude does not even know the name. just wit the name which sounds like minnah! some ppl r jus really crazy!

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    heh ! if you find this as crazy, what would have you said for the "Hannah" episode ?

    'Dude' is the perfect word for guys like this. :)

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Koi Pahailee said…

    absolutely hilarious
    jitnay muun itni batain...
    hehhehehehehe
    i really enjoyed :)

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Y said…

    Came back, just to read this one again, and that turn to hannah was equally funny

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Koi Pahailee - Yeah that's the reason it became funny and that dude got irritated.

    Sher - That Hannah thread has become a legend now. Anytime similar other thread pops up, people do remind the hannah thread :)

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Akanksha said…

    oh my god.. what if he had just smbdy calling out to her and wanted to stalk her!!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Akanksha - I don't think there is something like 'stalking' here and nor do girls here behave like Indian girls.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home