My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Old Times


It was like old times. I came to office in the morning and opened my mails – personal and official. There were many mails to read and reply. Nothing unusual about it, much less to something to blog. Wait, there is a reason. This has happened to me after 2 years. Yeah, for the last 12 hours I had no computer access. Only few days back, I was so smug about my laptop and I thought IBM laptops (now Lenovo) are the best ones around. But yesterday morning the inevitable happened.

The screen flickered and computer hanged. Mouse pointer won’t shift and keys won’t work. I thought rebooting will make it fine and so I booted it. It started working, I was happy but it was shortlived. After something like 10 minutes back to square one. I knew the worse has happened. Why did I have to be happy over my laptop? May be my thought process is jinxed. I connected to IBM site and the site offered to identify my computer. In few seconds the details were infront of me. The serial number, type number, domestic warranty, International warranty and support center in Finland. Atleast things were moving. I called the support center and they opened a ticket and gave me some esoteric number. After one hour someone from UK called me and spurted out like a taped message. In short it was that they suspect some problem with the display adapters and so mother board has to be changed. Mother board? How come? I mean what else is there in a computer other than mother board and processor. There is a reason to call it a ‘mother’ board and my laptop is not even 2 years old. The guy did what they do best. “Sir, I am just a technical support executive, our engineers would be better able to tell you why it happened”, this was his reply.

They want my laptop to be shipped to their support center in Helsinki and it will be returned to me after 7 days! I am not sure, but I think it takes less than 7 hours to assemble a laptop. The executive offered me a workaround i.e. to use an external monitor. This is how I am using my laptop while writing this blog. I borrowed one external monitor in office and it is working fine. But at home I have no external monitor so no computer and no internet. Sigh. I am not going to ship my laptop for 7 days until I get a replacement laptop. Let’s see what happens.

But I still love my laptop and my next laptop will again be IBM. After all it is Hollerith’s company. Won’t someone like to buy a bulb directly from the company of Edison (GE) Computers are known to be unreliable and I will request Oxford dictionary to include it as an adjective. For example - he/she is so computer (unreliable)

28 Comments:

  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    Thats sad!

    I hope ur laptop gets well soon!!

    At least there's good support service in place.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My IBM Laptop is working fine.

    *there! I have junxed it.*

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    he/she is so computer

    Your computer is so computer. hehehe...

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    I forgot to say this earlier.

    I think "He is such a computer" sounds much better :)

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - Thanks for your wish. I hope it works and yeah atleast there is international warranty.

    Pratyush - I don't think your laptop will have any problem. It is rarely that IBM laptops develop some problem and my luck that it had to be my laptop.

    Freeze - Yeah make this adjective popular so that I have something to my credit.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - He or she both will work better :P

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger killer is i said…

    hmmmm .. comp prob ..
    I HATE when my comp got screwed up ..
    comp is like my half life ... :D
    i hope yr laptop will b fine soon :)

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Satya, just in case you missed... try slapping the thing...it might start working alright.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    haha, sher! too good!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    $Satya - Welcome to the club ... Even I am on 3rd mother board now ... Now stop yapping around abt IBM laptops ...

    $Sher - Hahahahahahahhaha ...

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger killer is i said…

    lolz sher.. dude, indian company ka laptop nahi hai jo jugad pe chal jayega :p ..
    like that TV in Rang De Basanti .. hehe

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    good one sher.. i agree .. try the desi jugad it always works...well i am planning to buy a dell laptop, hope it works fine :)

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Y said…

    Satya, did I hijack u r comments section?

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger killer is i said…

    sher: keep on dreaming dude :p

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Y said…

    Satya, i've got a term for it: 'guriella commenting'

    KII... main socchiye, main karriye;> (I dream, I do)

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Akanksha said…

    laptop shaptop ke bina bade log kaise jiyenge .. hum to bechare office ke comp se hi kaam chala lete hain

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    what sort of 4th world country are u living in ??? why do they need 7 days to replace a simple thing????????

    in my country (India) and my city (Jamshedpur) Dell replaces the mother board in 24 hrs ...

    PKYS

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    I was travelling today so replying late to the comments.

    Killer - I hate it most when any problem arises with my computer. I hate any kind of change with my computer but what can I do. I am a mere mortal. But thanks for your wish. I appreciate it. And good answer to Sher. Did it happen like that in Rang de...

    Sher- That was a wonderful suggestion. Tussi great ho. Too bad I am reading it now when my laptop is with IBM or else I would have tried that. You can suggest one more desi idea - Computer to thoda tilt kar ke start karne ka !!

    Freeze- Yeah yeah too good. So you are enjoying this painful predicament of mine. Good

    Mowgli - You have the right to say that. I know IBM has let me down but this has happened after 16 months of 24x7 use and that too first motherboard. I hope it doesn´t reaches 3rd mother board. I will still prefer IBM over Dell anyday.

    Killer - Thanks again for taking my laptop´s side.

    Abhinav - I still maintain IBM laptops are the best one around. Go for it.

    Sher - Hijack !! My comments section !!! No you didn´t. Better luck next time. As killer said keep on dreaming :d

    Killer - thanks :)

    Sher - Is that your pickup line ?

    Akanksha- Bada aadmi nahin hoon, agar bada aadmi hota toh ab tak naya laptop company ne de diya hota. Abhi main office ke computer se hi kaam chala raha hoon.

    Mowgli - Actually they go by their rules. First they will inspect, then make a requisition for parts. It will be sent from inventory store and blah blah..and 7 days include weekends when nothing moves in Finland. If it was my personal laptop then you would have seen...

    Yeah I know Dell flew an engineer for your work but that kind of warranty IBM gives in the country you buy it from. The international warranty of my computer is ´mail-in or carry -in´. Hmm..hardluck for me. But ask yourself honestly, you also had once the same model as I have. Isn´t it the best one around ?

    What is PKYS ?

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger killer is i said…

    If u have seen RDB, usmein canteen mein 1 TV hota hai .. jiske channel TV ko hot karne se change hote hai .. so wo jugad pe tha :D

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Killer - aha, I got it now. Haven't seen RDB, will notice for it when I see it.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    hi satya, the guy who called u from UK mite not be from there...wud have been one from India :)

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sara - Where were you all these days ? Hope Mowgli didn't stash you somewhere.

    I also thought of the Indian connection but this guy offered to talk to me in Finnish. This guy was actually in Finland and supposedly using VoIP phone of UK registration. I have talked to him so many times, he works with the Helsinki support center. His name is Toumas McGuillan.

    Let's see when my laptop gets working.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    wow...thats quite a bit of research u have done :)

    was getting a little busy with work...and am now at the client site...a pretty conservative co...and am not supposed to blog or chk personal mails...very funny and very irritating...

    and mowgli can do nothing but to stay in his jungle...ha ha ha

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sara not research but steps taken in frustration. Working for multiple organisations carries the risk of becoming no ones baby.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Twilight Fairy said…

    aah.. I see .. like me.. you have been writing stuff that you write in mails to some ppl :).

    Take a break. Go to Helsinki. Go to Rock Church.

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    TF - yeah mail in blog or blog in mail. But what to do when I am not sure those some ppl read my blog :P

    Yeah I had the mandatory break but weather was not so nice here. Snowstorm and -17 to -20 didn't give much option to go out.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Twilight Fairy said…

    hmmm.. so at least I can call your blog a "personal blog" now :).

    Those ppl you aren't sure about, read ur blog out of curiosity at times :) especially when pre-informed about the sad demise of your laptop.

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    TF - I am grateful to those people that even for curiousity they check my blog.

    NOooo it is not a personal blog cause it was about my laptop and not about me. Demise no, just a trip to operating room.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home