My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Question ?


This morning the guest on Hard Talk (BBC) was Noam Chomsky. Even though I much like this program by Stephen Sackur, I don’t get to watch it often because of its non-prime schedule (in Finland). The biggest convenience of Meet the Press (NBC) was its Sunday broadcast, but I am not regular on it anymore after Tim Russert( nothing against David Gregory)

Coming to this particular episode with Noam, I felt that Stephen never had the upper hand; he could never actually manage to put Noam in a tough spot. Obviously it is impossible for someone like Noam to be loss of words. Quite entertaining and enlightening show, but I am hung on the last question of Stephen.

Noam Chomsky’s parents were Jewish - mother from Belarus, father from Ukraine and they migrated to USA. America, the land of opportunities gave so much to Noam, or else he would have died in one of those concentration camps, as his relatives perished. How can the conscience of Noam allow him to oppose US now? This is one question where I thought Noam didn’t give a straight answer or maybe I was not able to comprehend. It makes me think though. Is it wrong for Noam to oppose US policies or he should still be under the obligation of getting so much from US? Spin this off to any context and then what would be the answer? Does this goes against gratitude or wrongs the act of obligation (if there should be any?)

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    Free thinking my friend .. i dont think he has to be grateful to anyone than his parents. He grew up in a world of freedom and free thinking and he is thanking them in best possible way by using freedom of expression.

    Happy New Year to you :)

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Expression ! said…

    visiting your blog after long time.A good post about Chomsky. I have watched few interviews of Noam Chomsky and find him very arrogant.

    Stopped watching Meet the press after Tim Russet.
    Happy new year to you .

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Anonymous det-res said…

    First I expect you to respond to my comment.

    Second, thank you for inspiring me to read/google/search and form an opinion.

    So, I think we are dealing with several issues here. I love this post as I battle this question myself. Albeit on a personal level.

    From what I read, Chomsky was born in the US to his parents who were refugees. That by law makes him American with the fundamental freedom to speech.

    Should he feel gratitude? We believe he should. Does everyone who has been sheltered by the US have an amazing happy life where education and food are aplenty. I don't think so. ( I don't have stats to prove my stmt, but visit NYC and you will know what I am talking about)

    Does Chomsky have the right to his views? I think we all should whether we are American or not.

    Feeling grateful is not the same as feeling obligated. IMHO!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    All - Thanks for putting your comments and there can be no excuse for me, not being lazy. Yeah, my laptop did crash due to Aurora virus from Chinese sources, yeah I had some stressful situations, but no there can't be any excuses.

    Abhinav - Interesting take. He does not have to be grateful other than his parents, true, but who give that world of freedom and free thinkig ? how many countries in world guarantee that ? Does India ?

    Expression - Welcome back. Thanks or visiting my blog, yeah it has been long time and we have gone from profusive bloggers to ocassional bloggers. Yeah, Chomsky does sound arrogant at times.

    EU - I like your last line and that de-constructed the whole thought process. Thanks for it. Being grateful is not same as being obligated. Yeah, he should be grateful, probably is, but that feeling should not go against the basic ideals on which US is based - Freedom, free thinking...so my feeling is that whenever he disagrees with US, he is propagating the ideals of US. One just need to see it by taking the filter of parochial nationalism !

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Anonymous det-res said…

    Thank you for your comment. I miss thought provoking posts.

    Please note. it is det-res now!

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Det-Res - Yeah, noted! but can't commmit to using this new nick.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger soy yo said…

    Expressing dissent and criticizing America's policies are very much part of being an American.

    I am an American and I love my country, but there is a lot to criticize, always.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home