My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Afternoon in a Summer cottage

I know it's been a week when I last posted, but it has nothing to do other than that I was busy.

Last week we had an interesting afternoon when we went to the summer cottage of one of our colleague.Almost all the Finns have one summer cottage, far from city in the forest or beside the lake where they go and spend their weekends or during summer they spend their vacation there.

So this summer cottage was beside one lake which was totally frozen(the ice layer was about 50 cm thick, which I found out when I drilled one hole in it).Our colleague gave us ride in his car till the cottage which was about 15 kms from our office.It was my first time in any summer cottage and I was totally amazed by the sight of it. We were 9 of us there including 4 ladies.Beautiful kinda hutments made of wood and even one Sauna!! a whole collection of chopped logs of wood and all this by the side of lake in the forest.Here is the photo of the cottage.


The cottage Posted by Hello


So we started by going for walk in the lake, it was my fascination to walk on the lake and I fulfilled it.Then we brought logs of wood and lit the fire, kinda bonfire.Our colleague had one snow mobile, and I was riding it for the first time,it was so powerful and would zoom on the lake.I thought it would be as difficult as downhill skiiing but it was relatively easy atleast I had brakes to stop it :).

The snow mobile Posted by Hello

After the walk on the lake and then ride in snow mobile we all sat down around the bonfire,where the two half of salmon was also placed to be roasted and potatoes sealed in aluminium foil was placed on a wire mesh.

Salmon Posted by Hello

We drank berry drink, which I was told is home made preparation quite famous in Finland.It's like concentrated syrup in which you mix hot water and it tastes fabulous.
After this we all went for taking out fish from the lake where our colleague had hs fishing nets and there he managed to get 4 fish :).


Finding the Fishing net.. Posted by Hello

Fish!!! Posted by Hello


By this time the fish(placed earlier for smoking) had been smoked the salmon and potatoes were roasted.So we all sat down to eat with them salad and mayonese dresssing.It was so good to eat smoked fish, salmon I always like.

After this we sat in the cabin which had a nice fire place and had a chit chat for half-hour.It was half past five when we started back and reached my apartment in half hour.

It was wonderful outing, I dont remember when was the last time I had an outing like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home