My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

No Internet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since Saturday evening I am not having internet connection at my apartment. This is the first time it has happened since I came to Finland. I called my ISP on Monday, booked the complaint and nothing happened. Today morning I again called them and then they told me that all the ADSL connection by them in Hameenlinna is down, this happened due to fault in their physical infrastructure providing link to Tampere, Hameenlinna and Lahti.

This is the worst time for something like this to happen in Finland, we all know that it is vacation time in Finland and all the systems are supported by minimal resource. They have promised to rectify this in one week but were non-committal on any date. Yesterday and today the first thing I did in office was to browse the net for one hour, read all the online newspapers from my country , checked all the mail, read all the blogs I am regular to. It seemed like good old days when I had net only at work place and not at home.

First time I am blogging from work, which I normally avoid. Life seems to be so different without internet, I was reading one book and wanted to check the map of Trinidad as there was reference to it, my hands instinctively went to laptop only to realize there was no internet. I wanted to check the meaning of a word, then realized that my Webster’s tool bar won’t work, had done some payment with my credit card and wanted to check it but again no internet.

The long summer evening is not helping either ,however I completed two books during this time, one was a detective fiction by Dennis Lehane, which I didn’t like much and other was the classic comedy “The Mystic Masseur “by V.S. Naipaul (connection to Trinidad).

I am increasingly growing sick of this continued period of sunlight and miss the nights. I am sure this summer is not good for me due to following reasons:-

1. I don’t have any summer vacation from work.
2. There are no sea beaches in Hameenlinna
3. I live alone in Finland so no outings like picnic
4. I don’t need no tanning of skin
5. I don’t drink so no use going to parks with crates of Lapin Kulta and pass out there
6. There is no place in my apartment which can be made completely dark at night to get me peaceful sleep of atleast five hours
7. Lastly, due to this summer vacation the internet connection can't be restored as early as it would have normally been.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    been here many times..first time commenting..sorry to hear abt. the net connection..its amazing how this net has become such an essential part of our everyday lives. :) i hope you get it back soon. enjoy your vacation!

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Mona said…

    Can't agree more :) Nowadays, without Internet, it's so weird and you feel something missing. But I limit myself not to use internet on weekend on during holiday because I need a break from a computer sometimes after everyday I am in front of computer. But definately, we can't live without internet now.
    Have a nice day holiday :)

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Tingran, I think you should sometimes come down south and see the places here, Oulu must be having good summer now.

    Poonam welcome here ! Yeah net has become essential and today also no sign that it will be fixed :((

    Mona, in Finland, you got to have internet even on weekends or else you will be totally alone. The population of Finland is less than that of Bangalore and in my city I am the only foreigner !!!So internet keeps me connected with everyone.

    thanks all for putting in your comments.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Rowena said…

    Well I can relate to not having internet because my provider drops out a lot and once my monitor dropped out but... you had summer holidays in Italy and we want to hear about them! There has to be a lake in Hameelina and I know there are some things to do! What about outdoor swimming pool, good low impact exercise!
    I live alone and I have picnics by myself. I take my camera for photos to remember in winter and a really good book or treat myself to foreign magazines!
    I am also tanned but hey why mope about it! Walk around with your head high when you see the Finns tanning in their underwear in the park and think "I don't need to do that!"
    Go and buy some dark curtains, they are worth the investment trust me. Or if broke, get material instead. And anyway maybe the internet is breaking down to tell you to make the most of the light, a small walk, dinner outside that kind of thing hey?!

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Great, I got the net connection yesterday, they fixed it during day time.

    Rowena - yeah there is a lake in Hameenlinna as well !! regarding curtains I have put a dark colored thick curtain at the start of summer but in the morning Sun around 3am the curtain seems to be helpless, no sunlight comes in but it is not dark though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home