My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Notebook

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read the review of this movie by 'Sami ' and decided to watch it, the movie was released last year around this time. It is based on the novel “The Notebook” by Nicholas Spark. The plot of the movie is teenage summer love in pre WWII era.

In my view, the director stopped short of what could be achieved out of this movie considering the wonderful plot. Anyway there are only few movies which could actually translate the efficacy of the novel it is based upon, may be writing is easier than performing. I think the director was torn between the two themes one of 1940s and other of 2000s and in order to do more justice to sequence of 2000s he under-achieved the potential of 1940s. This reminds me of Clint Eastwoood’s four Academy awards winner “ Million Dollar Baby “, though this movie is one of my favorite but still I felt the director did more justice to the latter plot and under-achieved the former part(may be I am not eligible to put this comment; it got Oscar for Best achievement in Directing)

Coming back to ‘The Notebook’, this movie has been reduced to love story where everything goes fine though with the hiccups, much like run of mill romantic movie. It tweaked the emotion but was unable to harness the resulting effect. May be people always like sweet ending to love stories no matter it happens in reality or not. Most of the time, we see movies to see what we would like to happen in this world rather than what actually happens.

Just came to my mind that I know of a real summer love story of 1950s developed on the beach of Black sea, I shall write story if I get the permission.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd say of course people like to see happy endings in movies. We get enough of the imperfectness of reality and things going wrong in our own lives, so it's a good counterbalance.

    Have you read the book? (I haven't) I find that in 99% of the cases, the movie is vastly inferior to the book - which tells something about the power of words. A picture, it turns out, is not worth a thousand words.

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    I also have not read the book, will try to get the book and read it. I absolutely agree with you on the power of words, it is so true.

    I also agree that people like to see happy endings in movies but sometimes it drives unrealistic expectations.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That guy in the movie looked 99% like one of my Finn friend. when I see him, It's like seeing my friend. gosh...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home