My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Friday, September 23, 2005

Flu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is the Flu season in Finland and I am also down with it. Of all the common illness Flu is the most irritating one and it is almost inevitable during the season.

I thought it will go down by itself in three days but the dry cough irritated and troubled me a lot. Moreover I don’t know in Finnish system which drugs are OTCs so I had to go Mehilainen to see the doctor. It was an easy diagnosis for the doctor but he did go through all the rigors of examination.

I have noticed two things whenever you visit a doctor in Finland, first thing is that they will definitely ask that are you feeling bad due to change in season (subtle hint that are you feeling depressed) and the second thing they will ask “ Do you need letter for getting days off from work ?”. I guess both of these are quite specific to Finland and doctors are so kind to understand the needs of the people. I think in Finland you get as many days off from work as much the doctor wants for your sickness and depression is the most common illness in Finland. My answer was polite ‘no’ for both, I don’t wish to remain in my room all alone and rather get sicker. Going to work gives me an opportunity to see outside and talk to colleagues and may be have few light moments.

With the onset of autumn, the whole surrounding has become so colorful, I have taken few pictures and will try to post them. Incidentally today is the autumnal Equinox as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home