My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Independence Day - Suomi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today Suomi (Finland) is celebrating its 88th independence day.



Happy Independence Day to Finland, and all the Finns, anywhere in world. Finnish flag,one of my favourite, has the pristine beauty of blue and white, depicting sky and snow. The Finnish national anthem is also sweet even though I don’t understand it. The Finnish history is fascinating, and has tales of how Finns have valiantly fought for their freedom and later to preserve it? How they steered their nation whenever they had hard times? How they pulled their country from the great depression of 1990 to world’s most competitive economy? It tells about their resilience and their love for country.



Celebrate, dear Finns, you all deserve it.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Y said…

    The fighting spirit and humility of Raikonnen, Hakkinen and Tommy Makkinen sums up Finland for me. Then there is Linus Trovalds and his achievements..

    But Nokia, how they did it,is a mystery to me. I was shocked when I came to know that they were not Japanese but Finnish...I still think the majority of the junta thinks they are Japanese..I maybe wrong.

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Yogi, yeah these are contemporary famous Finns.
    It is an achievement for Finns to have carve out their independence while sandwiched between two superpowers i.e. Russia and Sweden. There is a lot to know about Finnish history.

    About Nokia, I think majority of people think or used to think the same. And did you know that not long back Nokia used to manufacture paper, gloves and tyres ? and then they thought of making mobile phones.

    Kone is also a Finnish company :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home