My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Monday, April 10, 2006

Why do I blog ?


Coming back after a break of one week, it only is proper to have a post about blogs. It’s now two years for me to have a blog and to write posts in it, but this past week was the first period of introspection. Why do people blog or more specifically why do I blog? I will not try to generalize in my quest for the answer. All sort of generalizations are debatable, and this time my endeavour is to have an answer on my own.

I don’t have much experience with main stream journalism but there is contrast between a piece coming up in newspaper and a blog. When someone writes for main stream media it is for a targeted audience, while most of the time a blog is for ‘oneself’. Since a blog is also in a public domain so it is available to readers as well. But the difference should always be factored. Now days, with increasing popularity of blogs, things are changing. Most of the big time writers, columnist and even newsperson have their own blog. But the difference remains. A blog is a place for informal discussions as compared to formal tone of main stream media.

A blog is about one’s affiliation, association, subscription, belief, disbelief, disenchantment and disappointment with some idea(s). The view presented in a blog can’t always be compared with Op-Ed pages of a newspaper. There can be several sources or websites which have better substances, but a blog is author’s personal substantiation. A piece coming in a blog might be summarization from five possible sources but that might be for the author to comprehend some idea(s). Most of the time the readers might have expert view of the subject matter discussed.

All being said, I still believe that a blog is mainly to serve a personal purpose and not to prove a point. Extrapolating this also means that a blog being used by a third party for some motive can’t be blamed on the author of the blog. The author could be held responsible for the views expressed in his/her blog but it does not confer recourse to any third party usage.

With these thoughts let me hope that I will continue blogging as before.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger Koi Pahailee said…

    yippy
    seems i read ur blog fresh!
    neeways, u said (rather wrote) mostly of what a blog is about and how it is evolving, rather than WHY DO U BLOG. 2 completely different things, aren't they.
    comeon, be specific.
    A blog is not that much fun if its not read by anyone except you. I have just the blog for this very purpose, and believe me, its not as fun as the blog that some ppl read. So mainly a blog is 'sharing ur thoughts with ppl, without having to face the limitations of the real world (like place, mindset, time, history, back ground, realtionship etc)

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Koi - Yeah you were the first one :) Well I said about blog and these are the reasons why I blog as well. I had been writing my blog for one year without a single comment. But what you say is equally correct, it is for sharing your thoughts and ideas as well. But it is then that someone gets the feeling that you are trying to show off which I totally don't agree to.

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been asking that question to myself too. And I still don't have an answer to it. But what you said makes sense, a blog is for oneself. Hmmm, maybe I should start writing again. Though my blog will not be having any sort of debates in it.. Hehehe

    And I think a blog is fun regardless of anyone reading it or not. Why does it matter if someone reads it (or not). I guess a blog means different things to different people. Why I blog may not be the same reason as to why you blog.

    I just realised that I forgot my password. Damn.

    Freeze

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Y said…

    This feeling came after 2 years!wow

    Satya, u previously blogged a lot about yourself. Why u dont do that now?

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze - You forgot your password!! seems you really took a long break. You should get back to blogging.

    Yeah it is about perception. I might blog for some reason and you might take it for some other reason. One might think that the other person puts crappy and 'good -for-nothing' posts but then the blog is for ONESELF.

    Hoping to see you back on blogging front.

    Sher - Haha, yeah after two years. But every blog has to go through this phase.
    I still blog about myself. May be you are comparing me with some exciting and happening lives, which unfortunately I don't have.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    Its nice to read your introspection.Many a times I want to put up my thoughts knowing way to well they are just mine, not wanting to justify them some times dithers me..however some times I need to remind myself..it is my blog..take it or leave it.Wow 2 years into blogging..I feel like a fetus blogger..Here is to more splendid blogging and many more years of shared thoughts.Cheers.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hey EU, thanks for the wish. Fetus blogger - hehe seems like a medical jargon :)

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hi there Xohra

     

Post a Comment

<< Home