My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Thursday, November 10, 2005

My School Days

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday after I wrote the post on weather which included something from my school days, I continue to remember those days. Though I did complete four major stages of education but the only stage of which I have sweet memories is my school days. I really liked the teachers there (barring a few) and I shall try to remember them.

Mr Javed Hassan – He taught us Maths and Physics. In class eigth mid-term exams when I got back my maths answer sheet, there was a remark written with red ink “You are one crazy &stupid guy”. I never told this to anyone, only two persons know about it, me and him. I remember what prompted him to write that. There was one problem which I solved, the last step was” 2/x = 1 “and after that I used something like 20 more steps to find the value of ‘x’. I deserved that remark and I was the prized idiot. He is a brilliant person and I owe him a lot in my life, till date I use the proportionality theorem which he taught in his own way. You ask me the formula to covert Fahrenheit to Celsius – I don’t know but I can find out using the theorem he taught. I owe my marks in Maths and Physics in Class 10th i.e. secondary exams (in India we have secondary exams and higher secondary exams) and any success I might get( have got ?) in life to him.

Mr. George V.C – He taught us English and History, my memories about him starts when he taught us “ The Count of Monte Cristo” in class 6th, from that day I have this wish to visit Marseilles in France. One day in class 8th a guy stood up and asked him “Why should I study History?” The answer which he gave him still motivates me to study more history. Couple of weeks back I read the history of Civil war of Spain.

Sister Nirmla – taught us chemistry for two years in 9th and 10th class. One day she was asking questions and asked me what is Boyle’s law ? Now Javed sir had also taught us Boyle’s law, Charle’s law etc and had explained that why these are true only for ideal gases . I started my answer to sister Nirmla’s question like this “For an ideal gas …………..” She said ‘ok correct’ and then aksed me to take my bag and changed my place to the last row (we had fixed seating arrangements) saying that’s the place for an ideal boy. Till today I don’t have any explanation for that bizarre behavior of her.

Ms Mamta Mishra – She started teaching us Biology from class 9th, before her I used to think biology is a subject which has to be mugged but she showed us how biology is to be understood and not learnt by rote. I still remember “the first leaves of a pea plant are simple leaves and later it develops compound leaves “. I don’t remember though that what are 'simple' leaves and 'compound' leaves ?

Sister Caroline- taught us English literature in class 10th. The literature we studied was “Julius Caesar “. In that there was the dialogue sequence between Brutus and his wife, where she was angry that Brutus does not share his issues with her? She asked whether she is her wife or a ‘Harlot’. After that line Sister asked us all “Do you all know what a Harlot is “?

Ms Alice – a special mention to her. She taught us chemistry in class 6th, the first year of our chemistry paper. ( She was my first crush)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home