My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Christmas time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today all the shops in Finland were open as they were closed yesterday for All Saint’s day. The shops will now remain open on Sundays till Christmas. Slowly Christmas frenzy will pick up. The best time of the year is the Christmas time.

I witnessed the last Christmas in Finland. What could be better than to be in the country of Santa for the Christmas? It becomes so beautiful weeks before the Christmas, all the shops will have their window decorations exhibited, even the Apteekkis will decorate their shops, electric lights of almost every color would be hanging, shops will leave two candles burning at the entrance, and some where in the downtown preferably in the city center there will be huge decorated Christmas tree. Nothing could match the feeing of ecstasy of walking in the brightly lit street with gentle falling snow, witnessing people doing Christmas shopping. I could walk for hours those evenings and if you feel cold then there are those numerous cafes where you can go and have a cup of hot chocolate. Somewhere there will be a skating rink where you could find people enjoying skating. No one seems to mind the falling snow rather all of them enjoy it. All this makes impossible to spend the evenings indoors and a stroll in the downtown is certain to lift up your spirits.
I have spent so many Christmas in India but it never felt so good, I think what we missed there is snow, the perfect white Christmas as we used to read in text books.

I am happy that Christmas is round the corner, this time I will hit the streets with my camera so that I can save few of those heavenly moments.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've never experienced a white Xmas. Yes I think that's what's missing from the tropical Xmases I usually celebrate. Yeah, there's probably no better place than Finland to celebrate it either. Gee.I am jealous and happy for you at the same time

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Ha ha, yeah I really love the falling snow during Christmas, that too in Santa' own country :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home