My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Monday, December 12, 2005

Back in town

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I am back in town after spending the weekend in Stockholm. It was a good visit and a great contrast to the summer time when I was last there. But it happens with any other European country. It was surprisingly warm in Stockholm, the temperature might be around 0 or -1 C and there was no snowfall. There wasn’t any snow on the street either, though I could see heaps and mounds of snow here and there.

Like last time, I found Stockholm to be so different, a vibrant cosmopolitan city bustling with energy. People walking hastily for catching their subway or train, no one turning their head if they hear some one talking in English. The downtown still alive late in evening, with shops opens much beyond 4 pm. It feels good to see people around you; for many of you it won’t sound a deal but after you have lived in Finland for one year, trust me you will love crowded places. I also like the extensive reach and frequency of subway in Stockholm and the highly decorated subway stations. Almost all the stations have artistic paintings and carvings.

The only thing which I don’t like is paying in fifties and hundreds of Kroner. Eat one burger and pay in sixties rather than paying in five or six here in Finland. Get a one way ticket for the subway and pay thirty Kroner, here you way 3 Euros. You need to carry a fat wallet there. Though I being from India have no right to complain, there we pay in hundreds of Rupees.

This time the security was quite high in evening of 10th December, police cars were parked everywhere, other police cars were racing down the streets blaring their sirens, a chopper was patrolling the sky; all I think for the Nobel Prize ceremony.

I didn’t see much of Christmas decorations there, other than the usually decorated shopping malls. The central station was decorated with bright lights though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home