My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas Lunch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time flies fast, after celebrating my first Christmas in the land of Santa, other is round the corner. The Christmas festivity is at its height, one can see people shopping, carrying gifts and going to their loved ones to deliver them. Everything has been draped in the Christmas spirit, even the office space.

After having the pre-Christmas party in the office in November, couple of days back we had the Christmas lunch. It was the traditional Finnish Christmas lunch, and we had it in one of the local restaurant (ravintola).
I got one picture of the lunch table; since it is taken from cell phone camera it does not show things in greater detail.



The ‘Christmas’ lunch had the following items

Smoked Salmon, Fresh Salted Salmon, Rosolli Salad, Pear cubes with blue cheese, baked Ham, Liver pate, chicken as well as turkey pate, potato and carrot casserole. The breads were Christmas bread (apple bread, I guess) and rye bread. The dessert was cheese with crackers, fruit salad, pastry (though I didn’t see it, but I guess it was there) with coffee.
Rosolli salad consists of potato, carrot and beetroot. Tt is accompained with fish salad, which is fish(herring) piece kept in a sweet sauce months before Christmas.

The traditional Christmas drink is Glogg, it is drink made with red wine, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, cloves and almonds. Sometimes a splash of vodka is added. It has a non alcoholic variety as well, where the red wine is replaced by fruit concentrate. Glogg goes with ginger cookies or ginger bread men.
(the O in 'Glogg' is actually 'O umluat',I have English keyboard so I can't type it)

The last thing, I wanted after the lunch was to come to office again. But it was a day well spent.

I always find it so interesting to experience different countries, people and cultures. I hope to keep these memories long after I am gone from Finland.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    Looks delicious but i'm not sure liver pate tastes good.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - neither can I say. I didn't taste the Liver pate, though it looked good.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    yeah, u r lucky that u can experience such different cultures. n u've been to so many countries too. cool.

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Akanksha said…

    u must have had a great time!
    i never feel like workin after comin bak frm a team lunch .. so i just laze around a lot.. or end up netsurfin or bloggin.. unless we hav a deadline then i just hav a coffee and then drag myself bak to work

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze - I am pretty sure, five years from now, you would have visited many countries as well. :)

    Akanksha - The best thing about Finland is that, here I have never seen someone having work pressure :) here work life is always given secondary priority and your own life is primary.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hi there Anamika,

    Welcome, it was one random search that landed me in your blog and I found it nice with those pics and quotes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home