My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Weekend Update

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listening to soft music, while lazing after Sunday dinner, I guess, is the perfect time to post update for the weekend. So, here I am,

It was an easy Saturday for me, getting up at 10.30 and enjoying the morning tea without any hurry of getting ready for office. Not really. When I looked at the thermometer it was minus 14 C, seems temperature had a total free fall in the night, a little more and the thermometer would have fallen down. I am now realizing that my Saturday trips to library would have to be cut off, courtesy the temperature. Anyway, I managed to drag myself out from the apartment, for the library. I had one incentive as well; there was this local Christmas market in the castle behind library, which I wanted to visit.
When I reached the library, I found that my hair had frozen; much like icicles, only they were not hanging down. I dare not run hand on my hair, lest they would have cracked and fallen down. After borrowing two books, I went to see the Christmas market. It was much like countryside market, with Christmas merchandise on display. There were little Santas, Christmas lights, hats, traditional Christmas breads, decorative items and beads. The local press was also there, the reporter was conversing with the ladies behind the counters and photographer was taking snaps of their shops.

In related news, the lake has started to freeze

Sunday was spent in weekend chores, like doing the laundry and cleaning the apartment.

Now movies of the weekend,

1.Into the Blue - A total waste of time. The only thing worth seeing in the movie was numerous scenes of bikini clad Jessica Alba and the underwater life of the Bahamian coast. And Veera, yeah, they were doing underwater photography! I find it hard to believe that a plane loaded with dope, will crash in the sea and no one would get to know about it. Except several years later, when those amateur divers will find it totally preserved for them.

2.A Lot Like Love – Far better than the earlier movie. Impressive performance by Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet. Not the usual romantic movie where boy meets girls – some differences- they get together, but it took five ‘getting-together’ in seven years for the happy ending. The chemistry was sure to have some result if not precipitation. My favourite - the scene in the Japanese restaurant where the water spiting action was going on. Ah! Got to love that one.

3.Der Untergang (Downfall) – The German movie with English subtitles. It pictures the last ten days of Hitler and is about the downfall of Third Reich. The most hated man of the history is aptly shown as sadist, conscienceless and deeply in love with his authority, hence usage of word ‘Nazi’ in modern English. The most chilling scene was of the mother killing her 8 children by crushing cyanide capsules in their mouth, after making them sleep unconscious. The movie was good and connected with the book I am reading. It did brush up the little Deutsch I know.

4.Hostage – One of the better movies from Bruce Willis. I had seen half of this movie when I was flying from Paris to Mumbai and wanted to complete. A better thriller than those ‘Die Hards’. For once, Willis is not the super cop but one individual troubled cop. I liked the acting of the seven year old boy and also love that gizmo’fied house.

Books – Out of the two books borrowed, I could start only one.

Fateless – by Nobel Laureate Imre Kertesz, I was waiting to lay my hands on this book. It is about a Hungarian Jewish boy’s experiences in German concentration camps and later when the war is over. Will write about this book after I complete it.

The second book is so-popular ‘Gone With The Wind’, nothing has to be said about this book.

So that's how it was.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    I've not seen any of these movies or read any of these books so I have no idea what to say.

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Twilight Fairy said…

    you seem to have done a lot of study on members of Fintia :)

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - No worrie dude, you can see them later. My one line reviews are not helpful as yours but I hope they give you an idea of which movies to see.

    Twilight Fairy - lol, no I have not done any study. But I remember when people send the introduction mail, and also when they explain why they are going to Rovaniemi in November and not in Dec or Jan.:)

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Freeze said…

    Your hair was FROZEN??? wow. Now thats called freezing ;)
    why dont u wear a hat, or cap or something.
    The lake's freezing. You can learn how to skate.

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Freeze -
    What else you expect in -14 C ? The water which was in the hair had frozen. No, I don't like wearing caps, didn't wear it even last winter at -27 C.:d

    There is a skating rink as well and it has been opened, but sadly I don't know it. I know skiing(half of it:p)

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Ranjit Nair said…

    Satya, have posted a response to your comment on my blog.

    The book 'Fateless' sounds good - I wanna read it too !!! Will have to go thru ur archives to see if I can find more stuff to read.

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hi Ranjit

    Welcome, I read your response to my comment and I agree.

    I will write more about 'Fateless" when I complete the book. Whatever I have read till now, definitely makes it a compelling book to read.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home