My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Monday, December 12, 2005

First slip of winter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today the temperature is in positive, plus 1 or 2 C and I don’t like it. If it is winter, the temperature should be in negative especially after week or two of minus 4 and 5 C. I have a perfect reason to rant about positive temperature.

Whenever it becomes positive the snow on the street, particularly the sidewalks becomes ice and hence slippery. Though the city workers grate the sidewalks by spreading pebbles but there are some areas which are always left. These are those places where you are most likely to slip while walking. Last year I slipped in almost five or six such places in the town and I remember each of them. I am determined to save myself from slipping at those places this time, come whatever may be. This morning while I was walking down to my office, I reached one such dreaded spot, I was unaware, thinking something and it happened. I slipped there! The only solace in slipping in Finland is that there would be no one in the streets to laugh at you, they are always deserted. But it was so bad, I had marked that place, and I slipped at the exact same place, how pitiful for me?

I don’t know why the city workers don’t grate those places, when they even grate the personal driveways? If it is not possible for their vehicle to negotiate those corners then atleast they can throw some of their salt there.

When I narrated this to one of my friend he said “even a donkey falls in the same pit only once “ arrrrrghhhhhhhh !@#$ but a donkey does not lives in Finland !!!

I wish I don’t slip anymore and I am not going to buy those caterpillar boots. Even if I slip so what, I was not born to live in a polar country. I can still ski like them; it is other thing that I need to fall every time to stop as I can’t make a snow plough.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Satya, next time just slide with your shoes if it is slippery, that will probably prevent you from falling :)! Like ice-skating. hehe... It's unbelievably slippery in Helsinki.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Y said…

    :>, To avoid all this come back to India!
    Btw the weather here in Bangalore is as nice as you can imagine.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Heather- that's a good idea but as you know I can't stop while skiing, probably I will overshoot my office and reach downtown :P I really hate this slippery streets.

    Yogi - Dude, what happened to your blog ? Who hijacked your blog? Did you write something against Santa ? bring it back.

    Yeah, hopefully, next winter I would be in Bangalore. The best thing about Bangalore is its weather, temperature year round being between 15 to 25 C. Btw has the Indiranagar-Airport road flyover ready yet ?

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Y said…

    My Blog is up and running now. Indranagr- Airport flyover.haha...hmmmmm, I'll keep you guessing.

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    Dont worry, you'll learn with time.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahaha!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home