My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Friday, December 23, 2005

Data Management

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of many things about Finland, one of them which impress me most is their efficient data management. Full details of each and every person, citizen or temporary resident like me, are maintained in a centralized location.

About phone numbers, here they are portable. One can change the service provider and still keep the number and there is a directory enquiry for the cell phone number as well. I am not sure but I think your phone number is updated at the ‘maistraatti’ (town manager’s office kind of) as well. I experienced this twice.

Last summer, my ADSL connection went down and I filed the complaint; they said that there was some major problem and the broadband connection for whole of the town as down. Next day around evening, I got a call on my cell phone! This was strange because I had never given my cell phone number to the service provider. The time I had applied for broadband I didn’t have cell phone; it takes around two weeks to get the phone connection. The next incident happened recently, a day before I was going to Stockholm. I needed Swedish Kroner, so I went to my local bank to get the forex. I asked for 400 Kroner and when the receipt came there was some extra charge of 3.5 Euros, I asked the teller but she was not able to speak English, so I came back. In office my colleagues told me that it was the commission for forex, which they should not have deducted as I had my account there. I decided to take my chance and called the bank on phone and explained the situation, they asked me to come back and the charge will be reversed. I was a bit busy that day and 3.5 Euros was not that amount to risk a walk in the shivering winter, so I forgot it. Around 4 in the evening I got call from bank, again on cell phone! , like Internet I had not given my cell phone number at the time of opening the bank account. So where are these people pulling my phone number?

The other rule in Finland is that if you are changing your address, then you need to inform at one place, either at post office or at the maistraatti. They will update your information and all other places like banks, Phone Company etc will get the new address, you don’t need to do anything(this makes me think that does the town manager has record of my bank account as well?). I guess all this information is maintained along with your social security number. You can even search for your name online in the population register, all this while at no time your privacy being compromised.

In Finland the traffic fine is according to your annual income, so whenever you get a ticket, the police pull out your income data from the tax office and decide your fine.

It might be easy to maintain the data as population of Finland is only 5.2 million, but it helps in great way to keep other process streamlined and efficient.

11 Comments:

  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Y said…

    It really sounds good but I would prefer the Indian way.

    Really, I get repelled now from streamlined and efficiently done things. It seems boring. I dont know why are my country men disgusted with the Indian system. To me it spells independence. Not always comforting but always enjoyable and brings a smile when I look back.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    That sounds like "masochism" :)

    Wait till you land you in some not so comfortable situations and then you will find the real worth of streamlined and efficient system. I have several such tales :d

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    A little freaky. Makes me think that the days of govt. monitoring its citizens' lives like in lots of hollywood movies are not too far away.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Freeze said…

    Well, I think its awesome that they can keep data of 5 million ppl. And efficiently at that. It makes everything so easier. You'l be gettin good service everywhere. In india though, even if u give some company yr phone num, they wont call u... u have to keep callin them again n again till u get bugged. But they'l call u if they want to sell something.

    But coz they have all your details, dont u get any telemarketing calls?

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj -> May be, I didn't put it properly, so you got the impression of Totalitarian regime. Tell me, at presently in India, aren't the different departments having, your date of birth, your address, your phone no, your bank account no and your PAN no? The answer will be yes. So it is here, only thing all these are maintained in a centralized location.
    In related news, did you hear that Britain is to become the first country that will record the number plate of any vehicle that comes on road. The data will be kept for two years. Now this might sound freaky.

    Freeze -> No the privacy laws are tough here, so there are no telemarketing calls as such. The data are shared with proper authority and no data can be used for tele marketing without informing the government. I have not received a single tele-marketing call in last 14 months.

    But, still, there is a provision to indicate that you don't want your data to be shared with anyone. And, if you get fliers from marketing company, they will write the place where they got your address from.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said…

    GS :

    I know this would sound a little ridicuous, but I like the way India is. Unorganised and free. I have faced a lot of hardships getting through the government officials but I still feel , this is the identity of India. We have a whole chain to support. Remember, our politicians will always be corrupt and would never do good to its employees(Govt employees) and so their salaries would not increase for a long long time and so they have only one way to make a decent living and that is using bribes as their tools. But this whole automation of records and other data will stop this chain abruptly and can affect a big , poor section of society. I know it has lots of flaws which make rich richer but lets look at the poor , they need it , isnt.

    I think , this is India. And we love it this way ( we have our different reasons though).

    Now , saying this , we can definately improve on many fronts still, including roads, airports and the likes.

    BTW, I stumbled across your blog from Priyanka -- > Raj -- > greensatya.

    -ATG

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anil,

    Thanks for the comment and I appreciate your view. But I think I need to issue one clarification. No where, I said that Indian system is bad, I just said that I am impressed with the data management here in Finland.

    India has a huge bureacracy but it is the only bureacracy of the world that works, and all we Indians are tolerant. We always appreciate the good things done by others, isn't it?

    Appreciation for others, does not mean criticism for our own.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Y said…

    At the risk of eating my own words, an efficient and streamlined data management system could have stopped a gruesome incident from happening in Bangalore recently.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Yogi - I also read about that incident. It was unfortunate and totally avoidable one. :(

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    Yeah, but with the high level of corruption thats prevalent in India right now, I think we're better off without such a centralised database cos it is more likely to be misused.

    In the near future, may be.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    I for one, think that such a centralised database will reduce the scope of corruption, as there will be lesser layers in any processing.
    But checks have to be built in the system.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home