My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Share holder activism


Global corporate world, in the past few weeks, has seen two major developments. Though both of them are from different industries they have very interesting similarity. In the steel industry, it was culmination of half year long bitter fight between the top two players resulting in Mittal steel’s successful takeover of European giant, Arcelor. Guy Dolle, CEO of Arcelor, used every trick in the book to thwart the takeover. He proposed merger of Arcelor with Russian steel giant ‘Severstal’. This merger, conceivably, would have made it impossible for Mittal to acquire Arcelor. Mittal had already raised its offer for the buyout. What turned the deal towards Mittal, were the shareholders. It was shareholders, who rejected the proposal of Severstal and forced Arcelor board to accept Mittal steel’s takeover.

The second development is from one of world’s biggest automakers, General Motors. The beleaguered company is taking several measures to turn lean and profitable. But the shareholders of GM weren’t amused by the pace of it. The biggest individual share holder of GM, Kirk Kerkorian, who owns 10% of GM’s equity, has proposed a tie up of GM with French ‘Renault’ and Japanese ‘Nissan’. Though, it is in very juvenile stage, the GM board of directors has agreed to explore the possibility. GM executives might not like the idea but it has been forced to explore by its own shareholders. It might have been unthinkable a decade ago for GM to tie up with any other automaker for its own survival.

These two instances have highlighted what economists are increasingly terming as ‘new era capitalism’. The successes of today’s corporate are judged by their share price on the bourses and the market capitalization. Today share holders are much more active than they were ever before. In many case, they are not shy of even having a confrontation with the executives. Though this has increased the pressure on the CEOs, with the results being published every quarter, it does satisfy the most basic tenet of capitalism – ‘to maximize shareholder’s value’.

I am sure, this share holder activism, is not going to be limited to these two instances. There would be many more to come.

14 Comments:

  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Y said…

    Yeah me too read abt the GM case some times back. I tend to agree with the sceptical view of the auto analysts. If we look at the product portfolios and other things of GM and compare it with Nissan-Renault, the synergies aren't great.

    Though I also read that more than GM, Carlos Ghosn is interested in the development. Keeping in mind how he turned around Nissan, there is something the guys sees thats not apparent to others.

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    I think its a very interesting turn of events and very logical too.

    The major shareholders are the ones who are directly impacted by big decisions so by being proactive or decisive, they are safeguarding their interests.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sher - Ofcourse, auto-industry is your interest area. I don't have much idea from the product portfolio knowledge but I agree with you.

    GM is already doing much, negotiation with the unions, restructuring prices, making changes in models, etc.

    Actually, I could write only half of the post. I wanted to write more but sleep got better of me, I somehow completed the post and dozed off :D

    Raj - Yeah I concur. The share holders are increasingly getting active.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    both these cases big, powerful shareholders led the way ...

    in india, small share holders are still fleaced by vanishing companies owned by big and powerful slime balls ...

    essar oil IPO (convertible debuntures) came at 190 bucks, and for many year languished at 2 .. all the while ruias enjoyed allegedly with the siphoned off cash ... they neither paid the interests, nor took care of the company ...

    there are activists and groups which have been petitioning and fighting for many years ... nothing ever happens.

    small shareholder rights still has a long way to go .. at least in India.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anonymous - Well in India, it's a totally different story.

    Here most of the listed companies have more than 80%stake with the Promoter group. So where are the real shareholders for activism.

    Not only Essar oil but DLF can be added to it. Minority shareholders have complained to government. But I guess they would get the go ahead for relisting.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    I haven't yet attempted to read this post.For lack of knowledge rather than interest.Wouldn't that be more pathetic?

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    EU - Nope. I would repeat your reply to me, "nothing pathetic about that" :)

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    hehehehe.

    what's so funny, you ask?

    i quote from your reply to S-E-J above
    "Actually, I could write only half of the post. I wanted to write more but sleep got better of me, I somehow completed the post and dozed off

    LOL. wonder what made you sleepy. ;)

    jokes apart, I read the post from start to end! It's interesting to know these things. I suddenly realise how little I read outside my world.

    Do all shareholders have an equal say in big decisions like these? like mergers?

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Ipanema girl - hehe, I realised it only now, after you wrote it.

    I guess it was not the post, which made me sleepy, but the time. :)

    I was developing the premise to develop the post, and the premise became too long so I left it.

    Yeah, usually, all share holders have equal right, in proportion to the number of shares they have. Sometimes like Mittal steel, which one time had the rule that shares held by family of Mittal steel will have 8 times the voting right of average share holders. This was bad corporate governance and had to scrapped while merging with Arcelor.

     
  • At 2:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ok. thanks for the clarifying. :)

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    p.s: yeah, yeah, maine kidhar bola that the post was making you sleepy?
    :)

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Ipanema girl - Welcome

    About the sleep thing, hehe, lol :P

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    greensatya,
    you owe me a tag.

    if your memory needs further refreshing..
    it's called "5 weird things you do in your workplace".

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Ipanema - Yeah, I do remember that tag. I am finding it hard to find 'five' weird things, so taking time. Will do it shortly :)

    You see, I am not weird at all :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home