My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Coup d'état - How you do it ?


There are few things about which we seem know a lot, there are reports about them in media, books to read and lot of history, still find it hard to imagine it. One such thing for me is military 'Coup d'état'. The recent one in Thailand triggering the thought process again.

I can’t understand how can one government be overthrown by tanks rolling on the street or buildings under siege? What exactly is a government ? Is it some ‘seat’, and whoever occupies the seat is the government. The government, I know, consists of several constituents, and they make the legislative and executive. So how come this system changes by tanks on the street, or soldiers in combat fatigue? How does evrerything become sub-servient to one person in uniform ?

I guess, my deficiency in understanding this lies with my upbringing. Having being brought in India, which incidentally is surrounded by neighbours having military rule umpteen number of times, makes me difficult to understand the whole process. When I think of government, the picture does not come of parliament buliding or the streets of New Delhi. However preposterous might be the thought, but I can imagine democracy in India, even with tanks rolling on streets of New Delhi. Oh, it got wiped off, even the mere thought does not stay for long. I guess this is Indian democracy ingrained in me. I would really find it difficult to ever stay some country where there is authoratarian rule or my right to question/criticise is limited.

Sure democracy does not always give you the government you desire, but even then it does give you the right to criticise. It does tells that it not ‘me’ (a single person) who can decide who is going to rule the country. The thought alone is assuring.

Whenever I get the news of any military coup anywhere, I don’t understand it, but it also brings me a smug on my face – the glow of Indian democracy.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    Very reassuring in the idea of the Indian democracy indeed.

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    EU - It is only when we read such news, we appreciate our democracy.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    Coup d'état - first tell me how to pronounce that ...

    ....

    yeah India is surrounded by failed states, failed economies, terrorist infested, lawless countries ...

    amazing ...

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Raj said…

    Even I find it difficult to imagine a coup. I guess its cos such a thing can never happen in India.

    Chalo, atleast u got some reason to feel good abt being an Indian :P

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Mowgli - It is pronounced like tihs
    koo dey-tah

    Yeah, inspite of our failed neighbours, we are strong on the democracy front. I think we should also start to spread democracy, aka, US styel.

    Raj - Precisely that's the reason we can't understand how it is done.

    Yeah, me coming to India with pride :)

    Prachi - Yeah our democracy is still in many ways the best in world. There are few issues, which I guess will be resolved with maturity of our nation.

    The Smilling Girl - Exactly, sooner or later all this military Juntas have to go.

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Appu - Thanks, I will do the tag, might be little late but will do it. :)

     
  • At 4:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i also found it hard to imagine the whole coup d'etat operation! you've spelt out what used to go on in my head..:)

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Koi Pahailee said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Koi Pahailee said…

    You really make me think...uff my knees hurt :)
    but on a serious note, let me share my experience with you.
    I was born & raised uptil school level under a military rule...
    and when so called domocracy came to my country...(in my time) the place tore apart. something like 5 governments in 3 years!
    I feel that even when there was democracy in Pakistan (as per law), it used to be authoratarian rule (hope i spelt it right!)...I mean if u are anti one party and if that party is in power...may God help you! you family will rot and die in front of you
    ...and also, if you have no connections with the ruling family (oops government), then also may god help you.
    Look, my point is not that I support military rule. No way. It does not make sense. But it is far better than families ruling and looting the country in name of democracy. (Ahh..i have so much more to so..better write my own post)
    PS. I have started to admire Indian politicians recently...have examples...but there is one big difference...there is no jagirdari rule in name of democracy....
    dont know anything about thailand by the way. May god help them too:)

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Ipanema girl - Yeah, we all feel the exact thing about this.

    Koi - You have given interesting perspective and lot of insightful points. I will come back later and will develop on what you have written. T

     

Post a Comment

<< Home