My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I will miss 'me'


I was walking down the street, the dark evening, the cool autumn breeze; the colorful foliage all seemed to have a melancholic hue. I never realized what the last two years was for me, until now. I now understand my relationship with Finland. The time I was here, I always thought I have grown up for feelings, and emotions; while precisely at those moments I was doing the opposite.

Somehow, for the past one week, every day I find myself in a different part of the city. The market square brought to me memories of the day when the city had assembled to see the local team win the ice hockey championship. Soon winter will come, snow will fall, market square will get covered with snow, and the huge and brightly decorated Christmas tree would stand still, opposite the cathedral. Only, I won’t be here.

Today I emptied my desk, segregated the papers to throw and to keep, and came across my address slips. I knew they will be valid no more, and I quietly put them with the papers I had to throw. I saw my two years, lying in that box, ready to be disposed.

I had ceased to feel that I was in a foreign country, the people on the streets would seem to be my own, the clatter of Finnish seemed my language to the subconscious, the silence on the street seemed natural and weather regular. I feel the best part of my life was these two years. I would trade anything I could, only to not leave Finland, Alas ! the world does not go with emotions and we can't take decisions from our heart.

No more everyday walk to the office, no more waving to the pizza guy on the way and the mutual silent 'hi' with the lady who goes to her shop the same time, for the last two years.

I won’t come to office after Friday, won’t drink the coffee from the office pantry, won’t try to read the Finnish newspaper through the pictures and won’t see the park from my window, won’t get to talk to my colleagues aund won’t attend the office parties.

I will no more have colleagues as the closest person in this country. No more phone calls to colleague to help me with translations, while I am standing in the aisle of supermarket. No more cursing the supermarket to make me hurry up before 6pm every saturday.

After two days, I will call the taxi service number, will take my bags outside the door of apartment. I will push the door as I have been doing for the last two years, only this time, I won’t keep the key in my pocket but gently put in the mail box slot. I will climb down the stairs and will turn around to see my ‘home’ for the last time in life and wheels will roll. After that I will present my passport, get my boarding pass and the plane will snatch me far from Finland. My silent desire will be drowned in the power surge of those two jet engines.

I will reach India, will be checked for passport and not visa, and yet I will feel like I am coming to a foreign country. I will once again be alone in a city in what was my own country two years ago.

I will never forget these two years of my life, and I am going with a plan that if I am not able to live away from Finland, I would come back. I know this is not going to happen, life does not go by my desires, but this is my silverlining. I will treasure every moment in Finland, and my colleagues will always remain my best friends.

I have lost a part of 'me' in Finland.

Good bye Finland, I will miss ‘me’.



Any blame for this sappy & incoherent post should lie with 'Twilight Fairy' who made me write this post.

29 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well well well, as I said, cherish these times.. I had also started doing all these "last time" kind of things abt a month before I had to leave. And leaving is so hectic, u may barely get time for a last look :p.. so take all of them now.

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger educatedunemployed said…

    It is slightly freaky that you would be leaving comments on my blog just about now as I get all teary eyed reading your post.I know the pain you are feeling.Except I don't know your pain.All I know is, it hurts real bad.

    A heartfelt hug is all I really want to send your way.

     
  • At 2:00 AM, Blogger P said…

    Aww... now am feeling a lil' sad...

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Twilight - What can I say, human mentality. Rather than cherish and treasure, I wanted to be with them. I don't want to take deliberate last trips but my subconscious keeps reminding me.

    EU - This post is emotional and kind of spreads the blue mood around. Thanks for the hug, I so need them now. I guess, this is what they call as life

    Perspective - Feels good to have people coming over. Thanks.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bhalai ka to zamana hee nahi raha.. ek to I help u in ur catharsis and you say "blame for this sappy post"!! :p

    Is se bhee zyada senti chat yahan copy/paste kar doon kya? :)

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    Aha, blame shifting, huh?

    Nobody's buying it!

    Probably bcos its a very well-written post.

    I know that it must be a really difficult time for you.

    I hope you get to visit Finland again soon :)

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    one door closes ... another opens ... but look back and make sure first door is not half open

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger pradman said…

    What can I say??
    I usually bungle up comments on such emotion-filled posts...
    I know one thing tho'
    I have not met you but looking at your posts I feel that you are a guy with a clear perspective on life. So I think you will ultimately end up living where you would be the happiest. Be it Finland or India or any other country... I am sure that you will ultimately settle in the place that will see you in your happiest self.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Y said…

    And you have emotions too.That was not sarcastic. Thats the way I thought about you. But that way too much to bear. Leaving is never easy. I'd have gulped down a few crates of beer and slept away the remaining two days.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Raj, Sher - Yeah he has emotions too.. and he was WAY TOO apprehensive expressing them here.. I had a tough time convincing him to put up this post! :P :)

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    Twilight Fairy -

    Could you paste that chat here ... please ...

    ....

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sorry for the delay in replying. Had the farewell day here.

    Twilight - No, I wasn't blaming you, I was giving credit to you for that. Catharsis, will be difficult for me by anymeans. Thank you anway for making me write the post. Nahin, nahin, don't paste the chat :D

    Appu - Yeah, I tried hard not to get attached still I got. Thanks and I guess once I see India, I will be happy again.

    Raj - Though I always knew that I have to go from here, still I am finding it hard to say good bye.I don't think I will get to visit Finland anytime soon, and even if I come, I won;t come to this city. It will be hard for me to be stranger in the same city that was mine once.

    Mowgli - Right now all doors are closed. I handed over one set of keys of apartment, so I am officially 'homeless' now. :(

    Scipio - Thanks for the nice comment. Yeah, I hope I get the place to live where I could be happy. Alternatively, if I get to live in one place for long, I will start liking that place.

    Sher - Yeah, me still having the hangover from yesterday.

    Twilight - Yeah it was your prodding that made me put this post.

    Mowgli - Man, wait till I come to Bangalore and will see you then :D

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's so sad but your 2 years had been spent worthwhile, you learnt alot of things didn't you? :) Like never leave your keys inside the apartment while going to do laundry? *lol*

    You can always come back to visit Finland whenever you have holidays! :)

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Heather - Yeah I learnt a lot of things and will always remain indebted to this stay in Finland. It was my best two years of life so far.

    Yeah I can come back but that would be a stranger in Finland. :(

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Abhinav said…

    Wow this is a different kind of post i have read.
    And man what an occasion .. i had packed my stuuf too and bid goodbye (hopefully) to my frens and Bangalore which had been my home for the last 2 years.
    i planned no to de a post on that .. lets see..

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mowgli - I dare not.. he's coming to Delhi before he comes to bangalore :)

     
  • At 4:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    satya,
    sending warm hugs your way! you're probably in india by now. was too busy all week to catch up on blogs. i will miss seeing finland on my statcounter! :-)

    and a long-distance welcome to india to you! :-)

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Abhinav - Yeah same situation for both of us.

    Twilight - Yeah, you are correct!

    Ipanema girl - Thanks. I am leaving Finland, for good, in next two hours as I type this comment. I will miss Finland too.

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Shouts of Nothingness said…

    So beautifully and poignantly written, Mr. Satya. Here's wishing your move to B'lore is as wonderful an experience as Finland was for you!

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Abaniko said…

    Don't worry. You'll soon find another "you". Cheers!

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Janefield - Thanks for the wishes. I really need them. I have reached India and would reach Bangalore in few days. I am in Delhi right now.

    Abaniko - Thanks, I also hope so.

    Appu - Yeah, I have reached India. But I am in Delhi now, my mother is sick and I am attending to her. I am not sure when would I go to Bangalore but hope to do so in next two weeks.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    hey satya
    i hope your mother is feeling better...

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Hey Ipanema girl & Appu, thanks for the wishes. I will convey them to her. I am litte pre-occupied now, don't know when life will be normal again. Blogging and all such seems to be history now for me.

    bye

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Shruti said…

    hi buddy,
    hey thats the life dear...
    good luck to you..

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Expression ! said…

    Hi Dear friend,cheer up.Take life as it comes.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Satya where art thou?

    Hope everything is good with you and all your family members.

    Oh God, you know today the pink papers had this news that maybe we soon gonna hear, probably tommorow, that Tata Steel'z officialy taking over Corus.

    And man...out of habit I turned to your blog for your views. So very enjoyed the Mitall Arcelor posts on your blog.

    While am here, let me tell you too that the time I heard abt Nkoreas nuclear blitzkrieg, even then I turned to your blog.

    if u read this, Happy Diwali!

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger The Cat said…

    awh, you. i hope it gets better.

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    hi buddy...back to India? wat hpnd to ur blog...long time since any posts...

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Shruti - Thanks, I am coming to terms with life.

    Sharda - Thanks for the kind word Sharda, haven't checked your blog in days. Will be doing it soon.

    Sher - Belated Happy Diwali to you as well. I am in Bangalore now, drop me an email. I will get a phone number in a day or two. Yeah lot of things happened in biz world, need to read about them.

    Aaki - Thanks :)

    Sara - Hey I am back now, to blog and also to India.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home