My Journey

I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest -(Napoleon)

Monday, July 17, 2006

ICICI Bank - What's Customer Service?


I know, I will have to eat crow on this, still I will write the post. It was not long ago when the Indian community in Finland, were narrating their traumatic experience with regards to India’s largest private sector bank, ICICI Bank Ltd. I was the only person who stood with ICICI bank and spoke in their favour. May be my words reached ICICI, and they set to rectify the aberration. Yeah, today I speak in unison with all those harassed customers of ICICI bank.

Their first interface with the customer, i.e customer care, is actually a farce. The sole purpose of having the call center and all those Shailesh, Madhav, Ranjeeta, Vandana, etc is to keep the customer confused. They are fully trained to churn out millions of excuses (most of the time stupid ones) and ask the customer to call the next day. I once decided to test their patience and kept calling the next day. My patience ran out on 15th day. By now, I know all their excuses (and also told them to use new ones). If you think you had enough, and ask your call to be routed to their supervisor or want to escalate the matter, you will first have to cut their excuses. Finally after reaching the supervisor, you would feel the first executive was better. This time the supervisor not only will confuse, but also fudge the issue. The only time their call center was of any help to me was when I asked them to open a new account, or called them to ask the 'date' today.

All this has become routine with regards to ICICI bank, but what they did to me yesterday was the most exciting one. Yesterday, at midnight I got an email from the bank. The mail mentioned “In compliance with your request, we have dispatched a new trading password to you”. First I thought it was some phising mail, but on careful analysis, it was found to be genuine. The strangest thing is that I never requested them to reset my password and send me a new one! I tried logging in with my old password and it didn’t work. Clearly my password was changed. I was alarmed that someone changed the password and got it on my behalf. I immediately sent an email raising the suspicion of ‘fraud’ and asked them to call back as soon as they read it. As expected, I got no calls and two ‘half hour call’ to their call center during the day was of no use, excepting learning few more names.

It was only when I called the office of their DGM, Ms Satinder Kaur (nodal officer designated by RBI for customer care) thrice, they decided to do something. I got a call from someone in ICICI bank around evening. My first question was, “who asked my password to be changed, and why it was changed?” The guy answered, “We have changed your password as per instructions from government authorities”. I nearly fell off my chair and asked again to be sure, “Did the government ask you to change my password?” The guy told me the whole story. It happened that they had to de-activate my demat account, and they knew no other way to do that, except to change the password to keep me away from logging in. The guy further mentioned that government has asked them to check the accounts for proper identification and my details were missing so they had to de-activate. They chose middle of night, with no prior intimation, and de-activated my demat account.

I remember opening my account in June, 2004. At that time PAN card (Income tax card) was not necessary for opening demat account and it was not even asked. Since I already had one, I had given that along with all other documents and yet my account was de-activated on the pretext of missing PAN number. The person further mentioned to me that my account will not be activated, unless I visit their nearest branch and submit the identification documents. When I said I am in Europe, he asked me to send the documents by post. This whole thing was enough to blow my fuse.

I explained to him that I have salary account, savings account, credit card and almost all sort of accounts and since you don’t have my identification documents so first close all other accounts as well. How come one account will work without identification documents and others don’t? To this question, ICICI personnel lived up to their reputation. He accepted that I had indeed submitted those documents at the time of opening of account, but all of them were washed away in last year’s flood of Mumbai, and now government has become strict in making them keep the proper documents. This statement left me shaking with rage.

I had enough of it and decided to end the story with ICICI bank. I told the guy that if he doesn’t activate my account in next one hour then I am not going to send even a scrap of paper. They can keep my account deactivated for ages. Further, I will close all my other accounts with the bank and will also write a letter to the HR head of my employer asking, “Why they made me open my salary savings account with ICICI bank?”

I don’t know which threat was effective but it worked. In the next 15 minutes, I got three calls and they gave me a new password over phone. I checked the password, it worked, and I am able to operate the account. At the end of the day, my issue was resolved but ICICI bank really rewarded me for thinking good of them. Even if they have some valid reason, they treat their customers in a manner that just displays their utter apathy. This is not the first time but second time in last two months for me. Morever it can happen only in India that a lady(Roopalben Panchal) can have around 6000 demat accounts in her name with forged documents, can commit fraud in stock market and keep doing it. But a simple stock investor like me will have his account deactivated without prior intimation even after submitting all sort of documents.

I apologise to all with whom I disagreed on the quality of customer service of ICICI bank. Please accept this post as a formal apology.


Update - The page of ICICI in Google Finance, where the profile of ICICI and the market information of its ADR( US market) is listed, is now carrying this post in the blogger section. You can read it here. There you go ICICI, time to get your act together or the whole world reads this.

28 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Raj said…

    //washed away in last year’s flood of Mumbai

    Whoa! :o

    Of course the ICICI Bank customer Care sux. But sadly they are not the only one. Almost all banks in India including foreign banks don't care about their customers.

    Still, I've never really had this kinda serious problem with them ever and I hope it stays that way.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    you've my sympathies. I can see your frustration through this rant. i don't know about icici in particular, but the whole ordeal, the shady explanations, just sound irritating and more. and to have to deal with it at midnight. aaargh.
    now you should really close all your accounts with them and take your business elsewhere.

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger XVSA013 said…

    yeah its a big fat farce ...

    whenever i call to reach their demat & online trading it says ... "your call is important to us, your estimated wait time is approximately 4 mins"

    once like u i also decided to wait it out and guess what? after 4th min the line gets cut ...

    ICICI is cheating people ...

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow..sounds like alot of trouble... :S

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Raj - Well that simply was not the case. Flood didn't wash away the documents. One of their stupid excuses. Problems with ICICI bank are getting worse with every passing day.

    The real problem is as you mentioned. No bank in India is good in customer service. The same with telecom industry. It will take time for these industries to mature.

    IPanema girl - Thanks. It really was tough on me. I was concerned about my password being changed and handed over to someone and dubbed 'as per your request'.

    Mowgli - Yeah, big farce. I have now decided never to call their customer care. Rather 'calls' to the office of Ms Satinder Kaur will be worth trying.

    Heather - It indeed was. You will never get to know the trouble of banking with them. Few things in India just totally sucks.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Y said…

    Blogspot banned in India!!(matterial for your next post)

    I accessed it thru pkblogs.com.

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sher- Yeah, owing to instructions from DOT, few ISPs in India, are blocking blogspot and typepad for the past four days or so. Will do a post on it very soon.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Expression ! said…

    It is a real travesty to read about ICICI.
    I guess I made the right choice to go with City Bank.Luckily never had any problem.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Sharda - Well, in India, no bank is above reproach. But anybank is better than ICICI bank. You made a good choice.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like Indian private sector banks are no better than Nationalized banks in Customer Service and even worse in corporate ethics. At least with nationalized bank we know that if you loose the money, It goes to the general public.

    a couple of years back, I deposited a check in my a/c with a pay in slip which had my a/c number in the ATM Drop box. Usually when I deposit checks I generally dont follow up to see if the amount is credited, but luckily this time as as the amount was big I checked after a month to see that the amount was not credited. When I asked my room mate who issued the check he told that the money was debited from his a/c.

    I was shocked and called ICICI Customer care, They promptly asked each and every detail like the Check No, Issuer Name, Bank & etc which I luckily had handy as my Room Mate who issued the check was nearby.. and finally told me that the "A/C number in the pay in slip didn’t match the name and hence it wasn’t credited into my a/c". Even assuming that I wrote the a/c no wrong.. I asked why they debited the amount from the issuer’s a/c when there was mismatch or why was it not credited back to the issuer? The answer was “Internal process of ICICI!!”... Ok! Now the money was taken from the issuer and has not reached my A/C too.. Where did the money go and what would have happened to that money, had I not checked the transaction?.. Answer was “It would go to their Suspense Account”. Finally I managed to get the money credited into my A/C.

    I told about the incident to my friend working as a DBA in ICICI Infotech.. I was shocked when he told that there was Rs.250 Crores lying like that in their Suspense A/C.

    - ICICI POWAI Branch Customer

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger greensatya said…

    Anonymous - 250 Crores !! that's too much for suspense or even for sundry creditor account. All banks in India are pathetic in customer service. The only way this can be improved, is by proactive effort by regulatory bodies.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Its just getting worse and worse.
    I dont who should we report this problem to. On the other hand theire website has so many problems they told me to edit the receivers details but there is no other option that you can edit, i ask them again and again, the most annoying problem is call another time.

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Subu said…

    Hi

    I'm another exasperated customer of ICICI Bank

    I've placed instructions, with one of the RMs at to invest my funds into Mutual funds of ICICI, some 20 days ago (approx ) and till date I have NOT even received the contract note !!

    I am totally un clear on

    (a) whether the funds were invested ?

    (b) If so at what NAV etc ...

    In the meanwhile the Indian Market has been moving up rather fast !!

    My repeated calls to the concerned RM have been met with polite replies like "...everything is fine..", "...you will soon get a reply.." and so on, though NOTHING has happened ..

    Do any of you know the Chief of ICICI's international operations ?

    I wish to register a complaint ... or at least track my funds

    Any help from the board members / blog readers would be appreciated


    Regards
    Subramaniam

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In early 2007 I opened an NRI account with ICICI. For almost a year I was unable to login to this account. I do not have any other way of accessing the account and checking the activity. Repeated calls and emails to the customer service representative did not resolve the issue. Finally after multiple calls to extremely polite but absolutely incompetent customer service I figured that the password automatically expires in 6 months if it is not used. On top of that since the password was invalid my account access was locked; and of course without any notification! When I requested a new password I was told that it will be sent by mail but there was no mention of any kind of additional charge. First of, I did not lose my password, ICICI locked the password without even informing me. And when I request a reset it charges me $12 USD resetting that!

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have faced a difficult situation for which I have written a mail to ICICI.
    Here is the extract of email that should let you know details. In short it's a Car Loan Fraud for which somebody is trying to use my address and ICICI bank seems clueless!! -

    ---------
    Hi,
    I have just now receieved one letter (AD/28/078) from ICICI Bank regarding the Car Loan No. LADEL00011562493.

    This letter says that the above loan is in the name of "GOVIND DEWRI" and the address given is "********************"

    This is a total FRAUD since I don't know any person with the name of "GOVIND DEWRI", neither do I have any relation with ICICI Bank for any loan. I would request you to act upon urgently and remove my address from above mentioned loan. I do not want any kind of misuse of my address.

    On further inquiring with ICICI Phone banking, I came to know this is the loan of Rs.3,00,000/- taken for purchasing Sentro in Oct. 2007. The phone banking officer also provided me the Phone no. of this Person, But, when I dialed this number (********), I came to know that the number doesn't belong to "GOVIND DEWRI" and this person also didn't have any connection with this loan or this person.

    I would request to take this issue WITH very urgent priority and utmost importance. I would also ask for a quick feedback from you with a confirmation that my address is removed from this loan A/c. You should contact me at my mobile no. ********** for any query/information.
    ----------

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here's one more for the books!

    This is a letter I wrote to the Ombudsman of ICICI Bank here in Canada. It seems no matter where they are their customer service sux.

    Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:41 PM
    To: OMBUDSMAN CA /IBG/IBANK/CANADA
    Subject: Complaint about service

    In late February of 2008 I made my RRSP contribution for the
    2007
    fiscal year. The transaction was completed successfully and
    so I
    patiently waited for my tax receipt to arrive so that I could
    send off my
    documents to my accountant for the 2007 tax year. A month
    passes and
    still no tax receipt!

    On last Thursday (April, 3rd) I called ICICI customer
    service to
    inquire about my tax receipt and find out why there had been
    such a
    long delay in getting it to me. The CSR apologized for the
    delay and
    promised me that I would receive my tax receipt via email
    within 48
    hours. By Tuesday of this week (April, 8th) I still had no
    received
    the email so I called again. This time thy CSR went over all
    my
    information (address, postal code, email address) and
    verified it was
    correct (which it was) and said he was "escalating" the
    matter to the
    "highest authorities" and promised that I would receive the
    email
    within 24 hours.

    Twenty four hours passed (April, 9th) and still no email! I
    called
    again only to hear the same script being read to me (I know
    this is so
    because the CSR actually had to wait for the page to come up
    on her
    computer screen before she could reply to my question and
    her response
    was identical, word for word, what I had previously been
    told). I
    asked to speak to a supervisor and was denied. I was told
    the matter
    was being "escalated" again and that I would simply have to
    wait
    another 24.

    I am writing you at 6:30 PM today, April 10th, as 24 hours
    have
    elapsed again and still no email or receipt! I called again
    today at
    1:30 PM and was put through the same charade! The same
    response word
    for word.

    THIS IS NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!! THIS IS CUSTOMER
    DISSERVICE.


    I have had issues with ICICI's customer service in the past
    but this
    is the worst service I have ever received from any bank I've
    ever
    dealt with.

    I will never make my RRSP contribution through ICICI bank in
    the
    future and I'm seriously considering closing all my accounts
    with
    ICICI. The extra 1/2 percent in interest simply does not
    cover the
    time wasted and aggravation of dealing with such lack of
    customer
    service!

    Just to add insult to injury, While I was on hold waiting
    for a CSR I
    heard a recording stating that ICICI Bank was offering a
    4.1% interest
    rate on a 1 year GIC. When I asked about transferring funds
    from my
    savings account to a 1 year GIC at that rate I was told that
    the rate
    had been changed to 3.9 % in March. That effectively means
    you've been
    falsely advertising a rate you're not prepared to honor for
    a full
    month!

    Enough is enough.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Arun Gopalkrishnan said…

    I'm in the USA and I receive a mail saying my D-Mat account will be de-activated if I do not provide the PAN card.

    I tell them that I do not have a PAN Card, but have a PAN number and the issuing letter from Income Tax dept plus the details of tax returns filed by me. Not sufficient they say. They need the PAN card.
    Now I have to apply for a PAN Card and till then my account is locked.
    I receive the PAN Card after a month and I submit it. ICICI takes 1.5 weeks to just update the PAN info and activate my account again. Till then I keep loosing money. What a Shame!!!

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    icici has no idea what customer service is at all, and they don't seem to care. i had so many problems opening and subsequently trying to access my account online. i have still been unable to close my account, although they keep saying it's 2 business days.
    you've been warned!

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    icici has no idea what customer service is at all, and they don't seem to care. i had so many problems opening and subsequently trying to access my account online. i have still been unable to close my account, although they keep saying it's 2 business days.
    you've been warned!

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Friends

    I was enquiring about my wire transfer (which did not received the beneficiary after a week time) I really wonder inspite of several attempts (in 5 hours) one of the customer service memebr named ESHWAR is giving same anser like recored message due to high valume of customers I am unable to connect to the right person call again on the same number after 30 minuts . Actually the person who lift the phone several time suppose to give me the anser against my query which he not did and told me every time that he is unable to transfer this call to the Wire dept.

    Such a prestegious org. like ICICI making fun of their customers thru their employee like ESHWAR

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Never wonder, all the stupids on this Heaven are in the ICICI customer service...

    They are all the mother fucked HECKS...

    I had to specnd more than 2 hours to get a online UN and later learned that the UN they had provided had expired....

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had lost my ATM-Debit card. I had also not used my internet banking for quite some time, and hence forgotten my password. Today, about 15 minutes ago, I was given the new card as well as my new net banking login and password. The card requires pin generation, which requires me to call their customer care. None of the available menu options lead to "pin generation", and no matter what I do, I can't reach the stage where I can actually speak to a human being.
    Moreover, the new net banking user name and password don't work!
    So there goes my story .... if this wasn't my salary account, I wouldn't have had anything to do with this bank!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    my dad has icici bank account, acc no is 612801503432. what is the present position weather this account is on live or canceled.i want know my dad account balance and forther information to continue thge account.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    my dad have icici account.i want to see the current position

     
  • At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They have a stupid phone banking system, which couldn't identify my account that i keyed in as per the IVR instructions.
    They advertise "24 hour customer service" but the there was no option provided by the IVR to speak a representative.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you that you did not speak with one of those "24 hour customer service" OFFICERS. They will drain out all the patience that you have in you and lie to you, try to blame you to cover up their errors and make you feel like - "am I talking to such a fool".
    And finally, they never give a resolution for your problem either. Clear Harassment..........

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Do they really do this with their customers? blaming and lying to your customers should be one of the things that a customer service company should avoid. By the way, thank you so much for the share. Hoping to read more like this stuff soon. Good Luck and More Power.

    Danielle

    Order taking services

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now a days there are responding very well. I called them New pin generation for my debit card with in one minute my work is done.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home